PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here's some photos of a pipe a picked up a while back. It's unique and I think its a bit gimmicky. Back when the pipe was made there was a sort of "Arms Race" involving stingers and inserts that were all promising the ever elusive "Perfect Smoke". In the case of this Underboar its a combination of stinger and cleaning aid. In its former life this pipe was smoked very hard and then put away dirty (very typical for that age of smoking). Here are the pics. The two diagrams I shamelessly lifted from Pipephil.EU.
nQP0XGO.jpg

1KJE1ig.jpg

tvx7Gn4.jpg

2yPRL2Y.jpg

ug0qjVI.jpg

jxf5SkS.png

cXM8jCF.png

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Jesse, Thanks. It is the eBay auction from last year, but it saw it get relisted twice and then I contacted the seller with an offer and to my surprise and joy he accepted.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Great score, Tim. And neat to see one in the wild with stinger intact.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've never seen a Charatan like that. I guess even the most storied of pipe makers was susceptible to the whims of the day. I assume you've been smoking it with the apparatus?

grilledokra

Lurker
Oct 27, 2016
I had to brush up on my Charatan markings, because the circle stem logo didn’t register. I think it’s interesting they chose to deviate from their normal mark for this particular model, considering an otherwise steady use of the CP logo.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Super mega-rare. I love the craggy finish and the fairly naive way that the shank has been formed.
My father told me that he had never seen one, he did show me a photo/print of one in 1974. Barry Jones, who worked at Charatans from 1959 - 1977 had not seen one either. I would have thought that one may have been sent to the factory for repair or refurbishing.

Until a few weeks ago, I had not seen one and then a friend of mine, who has an extensive Charatan and Upshall collection sent me one as a gift saying that 'I needed one for my collection'. So now I am the proud owner of one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.