Challenges of Adapting a Dunhill Design...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I thought I'd share a new one that I just finished that was adapted from a Dunhill 01 design that's for sale in Smoking Pipes. We had a discussion the other day on using military mounts into horn and some of the problems that could cause...So I did a couple of things- Reduced the overall dimensions of the pipe by 10%. Used a stainless steel reverse tenon to give strength to the horn and reduce some of the issues with horn. Beef up the bowl to more of an apple shape. The stem was a huge challenge- it's incredibly small with a faceted cut on top that's almost impossible to cut accurately- the first one I made was in black and kinda crappy. The second one, I broke the drill bit off and couldn't retrieve it, and the third one, I pulled out my stash of the good SEM rodstock and got close to what I was hoping for... I'll include one picture of the original Dunhill and several of the finished pipe...

Overall- 5.5"long 38 grams .69" tobacco chamber 1.25" deep
2rw6e74.jpg

311q5o6.jpg

34ovm0p.jpg

3176qlj.jpg

2iv1ogn.jpg

35kk393.jpg

sv460h.jpg

30sypzo.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Dunhill guy at all, but that is a handsome pipe. It's a really nice merging of materials and design, and manages to be understated in the best sense. Each detail is its own point of interest.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
So, does the tubing run the length of the stem on the stummel?
Yep...that gives it the strength and keeps moisture and heat away from the horn...Also makes it much easier to clean...

Status
Not open for further replies.