PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

inducingpanic

Lurker
Jul 20, 2017
Hi all. I would like to all the forum their thoughts please on both Chacom and Butz Choquin pipes. I'm new and only smoke a bowl or two a day over the past few months.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, Panic! :clap:

I never had a Chacom, so no comment there; but I get good results from my B/C D'Accord bent bulldog (1024 shape). IMO, it smokes much better since I removed the lacquer finish -- something many smokers would choose not to do. (Really, my issues with the shiny finish were more aesthetic than functional anyway.) At B/C's price point, it's not a bad pipe.

inducingpanic

Lurker
Jul 20, 2017
Thanks for the welcome. I have one pipe, a Boswell from 99'. I have smoked it on and off for years and just thought something new might be nice. Where do you recommend shopping for online?

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have a Chacom 2015 Pipe of The Year, it's not a bad smoker, it's a really nice looking pipe, which is mainly why I bought it.

Sometimes it smokes a little hot, but it's light and feels good in the hand.

For some reason, I find myself reaching for my Peterson's more than the Chacom though.

002-512-1664_1.jpg

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I've always admired Butz-Choquin pipes aesthetically, but hesitate to buy one. The general consensus I found in this forum is that they are generally good pipes but many people have also told me they smoke hot. I'm sure the tobacco and the mouth smoking the pipe have as much to do with that as the pipe does though. haha

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have a few Butz Choquin pipes including a few handmade specials and they are great smokers. My favourite is a large smooth calabash shape 'Maitre Pipier De Luxe' with brass military stem fitting. Bought NOS for about £65...bargain of the year in my book :puffy:
I also have a stunning 'Collection Supra' bent ball/bulldog with amazing grain. Another great smoker bought NOS for about £30!
Regards,
Jay.

Reactions: BROBS

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
If I have one complaint is that the draw on the Chacom I have is very tight but the draw on the Ropp is great. So next time I'll just buy more Ropp's.
I would like to buy a Comoy at some point.
I really like the Chacom Elephant series:

002-512-2627.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm curious what you guys think of the Comoy's 3 lines on sp.com:

Riband

Tradition

Pebble grain
I really like the matte finish of the Riband's.

inducingpanic

Lurker
Jul 20, 2017
Thanks guys. I've yet to pull the trigger but I'm close. I'm pretty sure I don't have enough experience having only one pipe and a few months experience to feel a difference in draw.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
J'aime les pipes francaises pour leur price et quality, > Yes can't argue, all aforementioned do correspond the truth,generally speaking,I have found french make pipes wheter,ButZ Choquin or Chacom and even Ropp,all thse St Claude made pipes offer very good Price/quality and based on my experience in past and now,these have less visual flaws or construction issues to be found in comparition with the medium priced Petersons.Nonetheless,should to be said,I'm observing all my French make pipes wheter Rattray,Chacom, Ropp, Butz they tend to smoke a bit hotter than Say My Savinelli or Petersons- especially if they come with walls on thinner side,yet as expected the draw is a bit more restricted-

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The one Butz Choquin I have was purchased in 1983 or so. I find that it is really unsuitable in hot, damp, Louisiana, because it smokes hot and wet in ambient air temperatures above 50 degrees. I feel the heavy lacquered finish is the cause. I have removed the heavy finishes from cheaper pipes, and those smoked much cooler, so I think I have corroborating evidence. One day I might do that the the Butz.

I also have a Ropp Vintage, which is lightweight and cool smoking. Mine has the horn stem, which is comfortable, but takes tooth marks readily.

The Chacom pipes are popular, but I have yet to own one.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Two of my Butz Choquin pipes mentioned above. They are both on the large side so ideal for a slow lingering smoke whilst reading a book or watching snooker on the idiot box :puffy:
6x14-600x400.jpg

6x13-600x400.jpg

Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.