• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I appreciate the information, I don't buy in bulk (ie. more than a few oz) as I feel I will never smoke it all and don't want many tiny tin balloons in my drawers. I like the idea of the mylar bag and they are cheap enough to try out. I enjoy the tin art which unfortunately will be hidden inside the mylar bag.

I will set up a small test of aging escudo in the tin/mylar and opening one up and jarring it. Will there be a difference?

Do you guys bag the GLP tins as well?
I do enjoy the GLP tobacco but I am not fond of their tins.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
FWIW, one of the foremost evangelists on the benefits of aging, as well as one of the foremost proponents of aging in the tin, as well as being one of the foremost blenders in the field, a fellow by the name of Greg Pease, recently changed his recommendation for long term aging from keeping the tobacco in its tin, to jarring it as soon as possible and then letting it age in the jar. Too many disappointments popping up in his cellar.

The difference in part is that he's an actual long term cellerer, with contents going back decades, while most of us are relatively recent practitioners with few, if any, tins older than, say, 20 years and few tins even 10 to 15 years of age. So if I'm going to be giving suggestions consideration, I'm more inclined to go with someone with actual long term experience.

And I'm ignoring the poll, since it lacks a "both" option, and is therefore useless.
Hey Sable do you have a link, would love to read him again. Thanks!
Really miss the Ask GLP, but I bet he is busy working wine harvest or some exotic thing.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can't see taking tobacco that is aging perfectly in the tin and disrupting that process by removing the tobacco and jarring it. How long can the tobacco have been in the tin before that is a negative? I don't believe anybody knows.
WHat he's suggesting as that you jar the tins when you first buy it and then put it aside to age, which doesn't strike me as a bad way to go if you're trying to get as much of an uninterrupted length of age as possible. Me, I'm bagging my tins as they already have 6 to 7 years on them.
Just popped another tin of Germain's Brown Flake that was 12 years old and it is significantly drier than it was new. It's in the jar to be smoked. The 20 year old St Bruno I picked up in Vegas last year was mummified.
Hey Sable do you have a link, would love to read him again. Thanks!
Really miss the Ask GLP, but I bet he is busy working wine harvest or some exotic thing.
It was on Mike Gluckler's Youtube channel. Greg wrote him a letter about his change of mind regarding cellaring I think it was last March, but you could ask Mike about it.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
WHat he's suggesting as that you far the tins when you first buy it and then put it aside to age, which doesn't strike me as a bad way to go if you're trying to get as much of an uninterrupted length of age as possible. Me, I'm bagging my tins as they already have 6 to 7 years on them.
Just popped another tin of Germain's Brown Flake that was 12 years old and it is significantly drier than it was new. It's in the jar to be smoked. The 20 year old St Bruno I picked up in Vegas last year was mummified.

It was on Mike Gluckler's Youtube channel. Greg wrote him a letter about his change of mind regarding cellaring I think it was last March, but you could ask Mike about it.
Drats, since the age verification on his YouTube I have opted not to watch. Won't sign up for that or Faceplant, took all I had to join here after years of lurking, but I needed to see more then thumbnails of pictures and of course engage with you Gentleman, finally. Thanks!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
WHat he's suggesting as that you jar the tins when you first buy it and then put it aside to age, which doesn't strike me as a bad way to go if you're trying to get as much of an uninterrupted length of age as possible. Me, I'm bagging my tins as they already have 6 to 7 years on them.

That might be fine if the tins are fresh. What if the tins you buy are already a year old? 2 years old? Or older? Where does it no longer make sense? I assume you mean transferring the tobacco from the tin to a mason jar, at least that is how your wording reads. I've got well over 1,000 tins, no way I'm transferring all of that tobacco to mason jars.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
That might be fine if the tins are fresh. What if the tins you buy are already a year old? 2 years old? Or older? Where does it no longer make sense? I assume you mean transferring the tobacco from the tin to a mason jar, at least that is how your wording reads. I've got well over 1,000 tins, no way I'm transferring all of that tobacco to mason jars.
This is where the Mylar comes in, no? Lots of posts on these and it would be much more practical for safety than stopping the aging and jarring all those. I have only bagged Daughters of Ryan.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This is where the Mylar comes in, no? Lots of posts on these and it would be much more practical for safety than stopping the aging and jarring all those. I have only bagged Daughters of Ryan.

Exactly. As soon as I get off my lazy butt and do it, I need to re-inventory and reorganize my cellar. When I do, I'll post some photos of how I use and store the 5 gallon mylar bags.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bengel

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Wow..I didn't think about the mylar option! Thanks for the information! I do have some bagged tobacco that I guess has to be sealed in food safe bags? Are those mylar?

Foodsaver bags are not mylar bags. Mylar bags are silver colored. Most people use a 5mm bag, I think, while I use a 4mm bag because I can seal it in my foodsaver machine. The thicker bags sealed with an iron is probably just as easy as sealing with a food saver, or easier, but this is how I started so I just stuck with it. I do not vacuum seal the bags, just heat seal. The 4mm bags I use are textured on one side and do allow for vacuum sealing while fully smooth thicker bags do not. I could vacuum seal bulks I suppose but I'm not concerned either way.

As I stated in my earlier post, I'm cellaring until I'm ready, which is to say not when the tobacco is ready. I could afford to build my cellar now and I may not be able to in the future so it made sense to me to do it now. Now I look for deals on specific tobaccos I know I like/want which get cellared but still throw an ounce or two of various bulks on to orders just to try. This way I can sample stuff I've never tried while being comfortable knowing I have plenty of my favorites to last into the future.

I use smaller bags that allow 4 round 2oz tins to be sealed without hassle. I could probably fit 5 in if I wanted too. I can also fit 1 500g box in a bag (GH&C has these). The 5 gallon bags Hoosier is using sounds like a good way to go also but with smaller "batches" I can open a bag when I feel like it without disturbing a bunch of tins. Maybe I'll get a few of the thicker 5 gallon bags and seal up some of my smaller bags.

For those transferring tins to jars, you might also want to weigh into your logic that Mason jars do not recommend that anyone store food in their jars for more than two years. Of course, this is food that can become dangerous to eat. But, the longevity of jars has never been fully explored in the 10+ years range... adding in that "some" have reported that their jars didn't seal fully either. That said, I would logically say that jars are just as "ify" as the tins are. Bags certainly haven't been fully explored for longevity, with Dan (what was his PM handle? had the Frank Sinatra avatar) reporting that he found bags to have their failures being at the seals, and another member found pinholes in bags after a certain amount of time. Peckinghombre showed photos of his jars dipped in paraffin wax. So...

Another thought is that even if you do not plan to ever resale your tobacco (me included), that our family ay want to put our cellars on the market for resale after we pass. And, I know that I would never buy something in a jar with merely the smoker's self-made labels (or even if the actual tin was cut out and added). So, surely tobacco in a jar would never bring as much in return as a sealed tin. Or, at least I have never seen a jar bring as much money as a tin.

But, if forums and facebook forums all start suggesting people bury the tobacco in old coffee can in the backyard, I would merely think it was humorous, but I would at least weigh in with my own opinion. You guys can all do what you want. It is more about peace of mind. But, with tins and even jars, you can easily check the seals by trying to open them. A jar should require something to pry up the lid, same with tins, and bags you could probably check by weighing the bag down under water, which is kind of elaborate, but the only way I can think of check the seal.

Last edited:

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Foodsaver bags are not mylar bags. Mylar bags are silver colored. Most people use a 5mm bag, I think, while I use a 4mm bag because I can seal it in my foodsaver machine. The thicker bags sealed with an iron is probably just as easy as sealing with a food saver, or easier, but this is how I started so I just stuck with it. I do not vacuum seal the bags, just heat seal. The 4mm bags I use are textured on one side and do allow for vacuum sealing while fully smooth thicker bags do not. I could vacuum seal bulks I suppose but I'm not concerned either way.

As I stated in my earlier post, I'm cellaring until I'm ready, which is to say not when the tobacco is ready. I could afford to build my cellar now and I may not be able to in the future so it made sense to me to do it now. Now I look for deals on specific tobaccos I know I like/want which get cellared but still throw an ounce or two of various bulks on to orders just to try. This way I can sample stuff I've never tried while being comfortable knowing I have plenty of my favorites to last into the future.

I use smaller bags that allow 4 round 2oz tins to be sealed without hassle. I could probably fit 5 in if I wanted too. I can also fit 1 500g box in a bag (GH&C has these). The 5 gallon bags Hoosier is using sounds like a good way to go also but with smaller "batches" I can open a bag when I feel like it without disturbing a bunch of tins. Maybe I'll get a few of the thicker 5 gallon bags and seal up some of my smaller bags.
Which mylar bags do you use and where do you purchase them?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Reactions: SpookedPiper

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I leave tins and then jar bulk. I have heard of someone on the forums doing hot paraffin dip on tins , which i think would seal them if you were concerned. I haven't tried or tested it myself. In a flash of brilliance I started putting u-line packing tape around the edges of my tins when I get them, like some of the last dunhill ones. I was thinking this will seal them up. About 3 or 4 months after I did that. I went to move some of those tins from a closet and I had to push the tape back onto the tin, it had not stayed stuck, so much for that thought.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I would recommend 7 mm mylar bags that can easily be purchased on Amazon. A few people here have recommended some specific brands. I've been pleased with whatever I purchased on Amazon and I've made numerous purchases.
Yes, I ordered some to see if it works for me. At least for some of the tins with more value to them. It will also give me a chance to reorganize my cellar and inventory what's in there. I won't bag anything over 1.75gr tins as they can be quite large.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Drats, since the age verification on his YouTube I have opted not to watch. Won't sign up for that or Faceplant, took all I had to join here after years of lurking, but I needed to see more then thumbnails of pictures and of course engage with you Gentleman, finally. Thanks!
Why would age verification be an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.