Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Mylar bags?

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Gosh, I guess if I had followed Peases advice and transferred the tin of Jacknife Plug I got to a jar, it wouldn’t have molded.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That might be fine if the tins are fresh. What if the tins you buy are already a year old? 2 years old? Or older? Where does it no longer make sense? I assume you mean transferring the tobacco from the tin to a mason jar, at least that is how your wording reads. I've got well over 1,000 tins, no way I'm transferring all of that tobacco to mason jars.
Well, like I wrote, I'm bagging mine in Mylar, which I believe you are as well. I use 7 mil metalized food grade Mylar bags and heat seal them. The aluminum coating reduces the permeability of Mylar. Seven mil, which is a 7 layer laminate, reduces the permeability to near zero. Most of my tins are 3 years old and older. I got suspicious about the whole business when I noticed I was smelling tobacco every time I opened a bin. So I did a test, putting tins in seal top Tupperware containers for a couple of weeks then popping the top.
I did this with the square and rectangular tins as they're the most fallable, separating by genre. The Oriental/Latakia container smelled of Oriental/Latakia. The Virginia container smelled of Virginia. I repeated the experiment with the canisters and there was no scent. I tried round tins and there was no scent.
Rather than worrying about what tin might fail, I bagged them in Mylar, same as I did with the Esoterica bags after Craig found pinholes in several of his where the creases are. I have too much going on and much better things to be doing than to be wasting time wondering if this tin or that tin might be a dud. The bags should at least help.
These square pressure seal tins were not designed to be long term storage. I don't know in what universe a square or rectangular seal has even pressure distributed all around the perimeter, but it isn't this one.
For people just starting out, having Greg's observations could be useful. For those of us looking to protect what we have, other options are helpful.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well, like I wrote, I'm bagging mine in Mylar, which I believe you are as well. I use 7 mil metalized food grade Mylar bags and heat seal them. The aluminum coating reduces the permeability of Mylar. Seven mil, which is a 7 layer laminate, reduces the permeability to near zero. Most of my tins are 3 years old and older. I got suspicious about the whole business when I noticed I was smelling tobacco every time I opened a bin. So I did a test, putting tins in seal top Tupperware containers for a couple of weeks then popping the top.
I did this with the square and rectangular tins as they're the most fallable, separating by genre. The Oriental/Latakia container smelled of Oriental/Latakia. The Virginia container smelled of Virginia. I repeated the experiment with the canisters and there was no scent. I tried round tins and there was no scent.
Rather than worrying about what tin might fail, I bagged them in Mylar, same as I did with the Esoterica bags after Craig found pinholes in several of his where the creases are. I have too much going on and much better things to be doing than to be wasting time wondering if this tin or that tin might be a dud. The bags should at least help.
These square pressure seal tins were not designed to be long term storage. I don't know in what universe a square or rectangular seal has even pressure distributed all around the perimeter, but it isn't this one.
For people just starting out, having Greg's observations could be useful. For those of us looking to protect what we have, other options are helpful.

Okay, your initial description sounded like you were transferring the tobacco. Now it appears we're doing the same thing.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Great thread and good points made all around by several previous posters. I have learned some valuable things in this discussion. Thank you!

Once, I had a good sized wine collection. Sigh.
Perhaps this experience with wines is why I prefer to keep tobacco in the tins. With wines, the semi-permeable cork is essential to the aging process as there is some amount out-gassing and a gradual reduction in liquid volume over time as a result of the chemical processes occurring. Regardless of any extemporaneous factors (e.g. proper humidity and temperatures) a percentage of premium wine will go bad despite all precautions and these get poured into the sink where they mix with your salty tears.
All things being equal, it is a given that the larger your collection, the larger number of fails you’ll experience. I have experienced a roughly similar ratio of fails with older tinned tobaccos as I once had with older bottled wines.
Every bottle of wine or tin of tobacco has a life span, and, where aging is concerned, eventually you reach a point of diminishing returns and the issue then becomes longevity. Wines and tobaccos do not continue to improve indefinitely, that defies logic, at some point, they just get older.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Okay, your initial description sounded like you were transferring the tobacco. Now it appears we're doing the same thing.
Nope, just relaying info to be considered with brand new tins that are intended to be allowed to age for many years. Jar the tobacco instead.
But as I have already got years on what I have, bagging them is the option I'll take.
What anyone else wants to do, transfer, bag, roll naked in them, is their business.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Great thread and good points made all around by several previous posters. I have learned some valuable things in this discussion. Thank you!

Once, I had a good sized wine collection. Sigh.
Perhaps this experience with wines is why I prefer to keep tobacco in the tins. With wines, the semi-permeable cork is essential to the aging process as there is some amount out-gassing and a gradual reduction in liquid volume over time as a result of the chemical processes occurring. Regardless of any extemporaneous factors (e.g. proper humidity and temperatures) a percentage of premium wine will go bad despite all precautions and these get poured into the sink where they mix with your salty tears.
All things being equal, it is a given that the larger your collection, the larger number of fails you’ll experience. I have experienced a roughly similar ratio of fails with older tinned tobaccos as I once had with older bottled wines.
Every bottle of wine or tin of tobacco has a life span, and, where aging is concerned, eventually you reach a point of diminishing returns and the issue then becomes longevity. Wines and tobaccos do not continue to improve indefinitely, that defies logic, at some point, they just get older.
Well, that's the other thing. Just as not all wines improve with age and eventually peak and croak out, so do tobaccos. The mechanics of aging tobacco differs from aging wine, but both have a lifespan. And some blends, like some wines, really don't benefit from aging.
My A&C Peterson made Escudo ages beautifully. The STG version is pretty much a waste of time. But they're not using the same ingredients, so why would I expect the same results?
And even products of the great glorious past wither and die inside their cutter tops.
So eat, smoke, and be Mary (if that's your thing) for tomorrow we will fade away. We are such stuff as dreams are made on and our little life is rounded by a sleep.

Reactions: peregrinus

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I got suspicious about the whole business when I noticed I was smelling tobacco every time I opened a bin.

This! I've received a few tins that had a dent in them that made me question the integrity of the seal. Add to this the number of tins my butterfingers have dropped onto the tile floor and, well, you get the idea.

McClelland and Rattray's tins also seem to still provide a tin note without opening them even after sitting around in my collection. I can't imagine what P&C's warehouse must smell like!

Plus an added bonus is my wife is much happier now. Happy wife, happy life as the saying goes.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
McClelland and Rattray's tins also seem to still provide a tin note without opening them even after sitting around in my collection. I can't imagine what P&C's warehouse must smell like!

I occasionally get shipments where the whole box and everything in it smells like a tobacco jar. I assume it's just the cardboard boxes in the warehouse get saturated in the odor.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Npod wins the internet again, great documentation:

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
FWIW I use the food saver bags on the rectangular tins. Pease said a year ago a friend of his also does this and it is an interesting solution.

Like Sable said do whatever tickles you pink, this is just what has worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.