PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
Just received a 500gr box of Ennerdale Flake. Is it ok to leave the flakes in the sealed box or should I jar it up?

May 4, 2015
^ Well, that and.. it's good to break it up in to smaller containers so you're not opening the whole stash every time you want a smoke. That quantity, I'd break up in to many small mason jars.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Jar it. It will dry out quickly in that box. And having a house smell like Ennerdale beats having it smell like camel dropping Latakia.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Jar it. I sometimes use a long term jar and a short term 4 or 2 oz jar for immediate use to keep me from opening the long term jar.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
At this point, I am using those little short squat jars that hold 1-3 ounces of tobacco depending on how fluffy, damp and dense it is. The pain in the ass is that you will probably use a dozen to store a pound, but you can then reach into your stash, pull out a jar and smoke it in a week or two, because that's about how long aged tobacco stays tasty. We are told by lore to avoid big jars because it interrupts the aging process, but I have stopped liking them because there is a greater chance of introducing spores and a certainty of drying the tobacco out each time one is opened.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If it was a 50g or 100g tin then I would say just leave it be, but since it's 500g I would jar it up. You'll have some for your everyday enjoyment, some for your cellar, and if you want you'll have some to put in your bathrooms and/or around the house as potpourri. :mrgreen:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would follow the above advice. A couple of months ago I opened a 250g box of Full Virginia Flake only to find the entire contents covered in green mould...there are pictures on the forum.
Imagine if I had just cellared it without opening the box...I would have had a nasty surprise further down the line so open it, check it and jar it.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.