PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Lady and Gentlemen,

I fancy the idea of buying some bulk tobacco and jarring (is that a word?) it myself for cellaring purposes. Like maybe a whole bunch of Virginia, as an example, in several 8 oz jars. That way I can open a jar every so often and mix with other tobaccos I've stored in a similar manner without disturbing the entire batch I purchased initially. To sum, buy bulk now and split it up in a number of jars to pull out whenever it makes sense. Will this work?

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
Works great. I use a bunch of different sizes jars because of the way I smoke (lots of different blends, and maybe 15 bowls a week or less).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds just right. A quality Virginia or burley makes a good half or full pound purchase, since you can smoke it by itself and use it for blending. The jars with start dates are an excellent idea. Good plan.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
What baffles me is how you got to preferred member status without learning the answer to this very basic question. Have you never read a single post here on cellaring?

I am new to the pipe. I have been upfront about that on nearly every post. However, my new found passion for it has led me to post often. That’s probably why I got the designation. I agree, I’m not worthy of it and I’m sorry you pointed that out publicly.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
There's no shame in being new. But if this question is any indication of your posts, you need to read more. The answers you seek are already easily available here.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Try a variety of jar sizes as well, then if the blend goes out of favor with your pallet you have it open in smaller portions :)

Reactions: mikefu

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I have something to shoot for now. I like that set up.
It’s in the basement, against a foundation wall, so the temp stays pretty consistent and obviously it’s dark with the doors closed. I have some more in stacks on the floor against the same wall, next to the wine racks. I’m satisfied with it. My only mistake was not initially inventorying them and noting what was where; I had to root through them all a couple years ago and organize the inventory so I can find what I’m looking for. I use an excel spreadsheet to keep track.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Spa32
Status
Not open for further replies.