PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Ok - I'm glad we're on this topic. I normally just buy the 2oz tins and cellar them as is. However, I've made up my mind that I'll be buying a few 8oz tins pretty soon. My plan is to get jars and split them up into 4ths right away. However, my original question was, should I wait to do this with each one until right before I want to have any of it? Which, could result in one 8oz sitting for a year or so, then be popped and separated, while I smoke away a fourth and let the rest sit. Or, just open box, open tins, jar and let age - done and done.
After peck's display though, my seconds new question, is if I go the "wait to jar until you have to" route....do I get bale jars for the sealed tins as well?
With all that -- is it really better, in the long run, to continue with 2oz tins for aging purposes? I need to go w/ the larger guys for a while because of the price (basically getting 4 tins for the price of 3), and I don't have much disposable income. So this will let me build up quicker. However, in a few years when I have some more $$ in the bank, should I switch back to just buying the 2oz, since I would be able to leave them as is and not worry about jarring?
EDIT: Also, I was just looking at the Ball Mason Jar website, and it looks like the smallest they make is 4oz. I was sort of hoping for 2oz (so it'd be just like the regular tins). What size do most people use? Link?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I use 4oz and 8oz Kerr jars that I purchase at Wal-mart. They are pretty much the same as Ball or Mason jars. I use the 4oz jars for flake tobaccos and the 8oz for bulk, loose tobaccos. I find the 4oz will hold about 2oz of flake and about 1 oz of loose tobacco. The 8oz will hold about 2oz of loose bulk tobacco since I pack fairly loose to insure plenty of air for aging. I am going to buy a scale with a tare adjustment to verify these weights.

The only paranoid thing I do is that I always sterilize my jars before "canning". I place the tobacco in warm, not hot jars. I sterilize the lids, also. I don't trust the grubbers that manufacture these jars for sterilization! And yes, they seal themselves as aging begins.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Looked for mason jars in the commissary today, but decided to check Amazon for a better price. Price aside, Amazon talks to the Ball mason jars (lid and ring, pint size) as being good for dry storage for up to one year! That doesn't sound like a good choice on the surface of things! What should I be looking for?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
The Mason jars keep food for one year. No problem with tobacco...unless you are going to eat it! 8O

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
[/quote]The Mason jars keep food for one year. No problem with tobacco...unless you are going to eat it!
Thanks! Never thought that that was meant for food (only)!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Roth wrote:

If you get with the program, and realize we're talking tobacco here not you mama's jam, if you can get your mind past that, you're home free...
I get it Roth, I think. But I am worried (and johnparker too) about mold/bacteria so I sterilize my jars, utensils and hands when I jar my tobacco. What I can't prevent or account for is the mold spores that may be in the shipped tobacco. There is no prevention for that but at least I know it wasn't caused by my lack of diligence. I guess I trust the supplier and in the fact that tobacco is fairly bacteria resistant. Like you said to Peck: "You can't be too careful." I'm retired. What else to I have to do?

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Thanks roth, I'll try to pick up some jars soon, and I'll let you all know how the order/jarring goes.
I am pretty nervous, really, since I've never jarred tobacco before. Almost a decade and all I've smoked has come from a tin! Do others think it's worth my while to sterilize the things? To me, it sounds like just another step I could mess up....

Dec 24, 2012
I would not sterilize them as long as you use new jars. I posted it here awhile back - on another pipe site, one of the guys is a bacteria tester in the food industry - he did an elaborate thread on testing new jars he bought for bacteria - the new jars had absolutely none in a multitude of tests. He did say that unless you know what you are doing that trying to sterilize the jars can introduce bacteria if you are not careful.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
This is an intentional thread resurrection. I was wondering how you open the wax sealed jars? I purchased some bulk that came in wax dipped mason jars, but I'm not sure how to open them without dumping some wax into the tobacco below. Is there a recommended process?
Thank you,
Billy

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Carefully, you remove it carefully. I use a knife and work off a piece at a time. And any bits that fall in to the baccy will be noticeable enough to pick out.

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Just a couple of days ago I went into the local Salvation Army store to look over the bookshelf, and noticed that they had in a couple-dozen old-style Mason jars, I mean with the glass lid and metal bail for $0.79 apiece.
I left them there, as I have absolutely no idea whether or not those old-style rubber gasket rings for these jars are still available or even made at all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The bail tops are still made, and are what I prefer for tobacco that's open and in rotation. So, you should be able to find new rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.