PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I finally got around to developing a spreadsheet to keep track of my cellar inventory. It is a work in progress - I'll be adding my own notes and any other information I decide might be important... might delete some content also if not helpful. At least now I can keep track of what I purchase and be reminded when to order replacement tins. Also, with the spreadsheet I can re-order according to blends, amount on hand, etc.
Anyone else keeping track of their inventory in a similar way?
Any suggestions for improving the spreadsheet would be appreciated.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Tim:
You're doing much more with your spreadsheet than I do with mine. (I keep all of my actual tasting notes in a handwritten journal.) One thing you may not be accounting for is the age of your tins. Yes, you know how many and what sizes, but I don't see any notes for the date of manufacture. Here's an example of how mine looks:

I have all of my tins packed away in boxes/bins, which is why I have "Location" as one of the columns. "Drawer" refers to the file cabinet beside my desk where I keep the tins that I've decided will be next in my rotation.
Bob

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Good points... I will add dates and location. Currently I only have 23 different blends and can store all in drawers but I imagine that will grow over time.
THANK YOU!

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks guys... I'll check out tobaccocellar.com.
Someone in this forum was building another website for inventory and I signed up to receive notification when it is complete but haven't received anything yet. I prefer to have everything online if easy to use and has all features needed.

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
First, I love spreadsheets! The spreadsheet is the most useful software devised to date IMHO. There is so much you can do with them and sort them six ways from Sunday, hide and unhide columns and rows for printing, etc.
Yes, you can use tobaccocellar.com but I like to have control of what I can do with MY spreadsheets.
I have had two spreadsheets since 2004: one for cellared tobaccos and one for my personal ratings of blends, but there is no reason you could not have both in one spreadsheet.
CELLARED TOBACCOS SPREADSHEET COLUMNS:
Brand / blender
Blend Name
Blend Type (e.g., English, Balkan, Burley, Cigar Leaf Based, etc.)
Cellared Date (Which, preferably, will be the date on the label on the bottom of the tin. If this is not available, I use the date I received the tobacco. I also have SEPARATE columns for the cellared date: MONTH, DAY and YEAR as it is easier to sort if three separate columns are used for the date.)
Amount (e.g. 100g, 50g, 8 oz jar. Any bulk tobaccos I order are transferred to 8 ounce Mason ‘Quilt’ Jelly Jars and they each hold 2 ounces of baccy.)
TOBACCO RATINGS SPREADSHEET COLUMNS:
Brand / blender
Blend Name
Blend Type (e.g., English, Balkan, Burley, Cigar Leaf Based, etc.)
Contents (e.g., for Old Joe Krantz, the entry for contents would be ‘Red Virginia, Burley & 25% Perique.’)
Rating (My personal rating on a scale of 1 to 10 – and most often sorted by this column so I easily know what baccys to reorder)
Comments (SHORT, CRISP comments about what I liked / disliked about a blend. Of course this is the widest column.)
I currently have 254 entries in my CELLARED spreadsheet and 333 entries in my RATINGS spreadsheet. Of course you must remember to delete or move an entry from the CELLARED spreadsheet for each blend that is uncellared.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I use Tobaccocellar as well, and you can export/import your cellar to and from a spreadsheet.
Also, though I don't believe it's ready for prime time yet, Forum member Pylorns is creating an online cellaring tool called The Pipe Tool. It looks very promising.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I have a similar spreadsheet but the main section is which tobaccos I have smoked and a rating - towards the bottom I have a cellar section, but it isn't as populated as most!

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Well my back-end developer that is handling the stuff I can't do has been moving to another state and hasn't had time to do anything. Sooo... I don't have an eta - we've got most of the feature sets worked out, logins mostly working and some items, we just don't have enough quite yet for anyone to try. It'll be done before the end of the year that's for sure.
If you're at the Kansas City Show this weekend I'll show anyone what we have done.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 for TobaccoCellar.com
I would love to use something more detailed, but simplicity in this case is just fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.