Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep tinned tobacco in their tins, and I am in for the long haul. I have yet to have a tin fail, and frankly I have never given it a thought. Jars are for bulk in my cellar. Just try to open the tin when it arrives. If it doesn't open with your best effort, then it is sealed. I again tried to open all of my aged square and rectangle tins when Jesse started telling us that they fail with time, but out of my 400+ squarish tins, some older than I have been smoking, none of the seals failed. So, honestly, I don't worry about it. But, if one is a worrier, hand-wringer, frantically pacing the floors with fright and anxiety, do what the hell you want anyways. It's your stuff. :puffy:
Yeh, I have gotten mold in jars... never in a tin... yet, knock on wood.

But, you don't really see it coming on, so no use in putting it in a jar for that reason. Most likely putting it in a jar is exposing it to more mold spores. I'd rather open it in the tin to find mold, so that I could send it back to the company.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[The newer 2oz. Mcclelland and C&D tins are the safest for long term cellaring. All of my other tins I wrap with parafilm tape along the seams. ]
Parafilm is porous to air and useless for sealing. Aluminum fold is the way to go as it does not allow air to pass through.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Aluminum foil is the way to go as it does not allow air to pass through.
I've tried aluminum tape on some of my tins and find it very fiddly to work with. It's thin and difficult to apply smoothly without leaving air pockets or ridges. Has anyone here used this tape successfully for long term sealing of tins (i.e. 10 years or longer)? If so, how are you applying it to ensure a good seal?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I again tried to open all of my aged square and rectangle tins when Jesse started telling us that they fail with time, but out of my 400+ squarish tins, some older than I have been smoking, none of the seals failed. So, honestly, I don't worry about it. But, if one is a worrier, hand-wringer, frantically pacing the floors with fright and anxiety, do what the hell you want anyways.
Well, it ain't just me, not by a long shot. Lots of people have been sharing about their experiences with these tins.
There's this guy you might have heard of? This feller who evangelized cellaring long term for the benefit of aging? His name is Greg Pease. He's produced some tobacco here and there. And he's switched from recommending keeping tobacco in the tin to recommending that you jar it ASAP and then let it age in the undisturbed. Too many unhappy surprises among the older tins in his cellar.
But he's an actual long term pipe smoker with an actual long term cellar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know I should jar it all, but don't. One or two dried to dust or moldy tins with leaky seals would convert me forever. Alas, I really like the tins -- the art, the seemingly authoritative list of tobaccos, the mystery, and the psssttt when opened (always in the past anyway). So with consciousness of guilt, and apologies to Sable' and GLP, I walk that line.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In the last couple of months I have opened the following tins with no issues.

2001 Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug square.

2004 SG FVF square

1997 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucy round

2007 Peterson Irish Flake rectangle

2008 Escudo round

2005 Mac Baren Navy Flake square

2002 Rotary Luxury Navy Cut rectangle
I am probably forgetting a couple of more but ever tin has been perfect.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I am in the process of selling off all of my mason jar tobaccos. They are too bulky and heavy. Over time I was able to cellar my preferred blends via tins and they are much lighter and easier to store long term. Mylar is also our friend.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[I've tried aluminum tape on some of my tins and find it very fiddly to work with. It's thin and difficult to apply smoothly without leaving air pockets or ridges. Has anyone here used this tape successfully for long term sealing of tins (i.e. 10 years or longer)? If so, how are you applying it to ensure a good seal?]
You need a tick tape, the best is the 3M 0.03 mil. Many non brand tapes are very thin and they break apart while applying and worse are a pain in the neck to remove.

Reactions: logs

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
was about to ask this same question. this is why i love this forum. feel like someone has always asked my question before i could type it!

RockRash

Lurker
Sep 8, 2019
California
I've tried aluminum tape on some of my tins and find it very fiddly to work with. It's thin and difficult to apply smoothly without leaving air pockets or ridges. Has anyone here used this tape successfully for long term sealing of tins (i.e. 10 years or longer)? If so, how are you applying it to ensure a good seal?
I've used 10 mil pipe wrap tape it's a very flexible stretchy tape to seal my tins. I haven't had any stored longer than a few years but it worked good. I use the tape all the time at work so I have a ample supply.

Reactions: logs

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I inspected my tins yesterday and found two had lost their seals. One was a square tin of Capstan Yellow and a circle tin of Dunhill Three Year Virginia. The Dunhill was bone dry but smokeable, the Capstan was still somewhat moist.
Tin health is important, check your tins yearly haha?‍⚕️?‍⚕️

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Those rectangular Capstan tins were born to fail, it was just a matter of time. I'm surprised to hear about the Dunhill tin falling though. Those are the gold standard. How old was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.