PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I started cellaring about 18 months ago. Right now, according to my tobacco cellar bar graph, 44% of my stash is over the 1 year point in the cellar: http://tobaccocellar.com/peckinpahhombre
This is from the time I put it in the cellar not from the time the blends were tinned.
So far, I haven't dipped in to the cellar much at all. I have been smoking various miscellaneous blends that I have in an overflow drawer that are not counted in my cellar holdings. However, I only have about 7 tins left in the overflow, so in the near term I will have to start dipping into the cellar.
Does anyone know what blends show the most improvement with a year of aging, and what blends need far more cellaring time before they get better?
I am struggling with what I should dip into first?

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Out of those blends I think Dark Star would have aged the best, but I've only smoked a very small fraction of the blends you have cellared.

~Ron

I would go straight to the light Virginias for the greatest effect from aging. But, then I would go straight to the Virginia regardless, lol.
My cellar is only six months old, but I will set back and watch what you do, to get an idea of what to do myself in another year.
However, I have a suspicion that my addiction to my local B&M will keep me buying fresh stock (just to have the excuse to visit them), even once my cellar is overflowing. I would never have thought myself a hoarder, but I just can't stop myself.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
It must be like looking at a reservoir and wondering which drop to drink first. I feel your pain.

The FVF might be a good option.

plumbersdope

Lurker
Mar 10, 2013
Well from your selection I would say Bayou Morning is really good after a year. Blackjack that is lucky too make it a year with me. I have one tin left that has made the mark and need more. Briar fox is pretty good after a year but IMO it needs a bit more time. After a year good too mix into a rotation for a morning coffee smoke or little heavier smoke. Low country cooper is amazing any time. My last tin made it too the 1 1/2 mark was opened on a hunting trip. Age or not still good in my opinion. With your cellar I would say put on a blind fold and grab one. Hesitation makes waste :puffpipe:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'd personally go with a Latakia-based English. They'll smooth out nicely in 6 months to a year. I'd let the Virginias sit.
Bob

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well Escudo seems to come along nicely with some age. I actually done care for it fresh but even 6 months helped. But I'd say, it's a pretty safe bet that any Virginia flake would benefit from a year. Which one the most? That I cannot say.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I have been cellaring since Dec. of 2012. I tried a lot of tins with a year on them and enjoyed them very much. However I don't know what some of them tasted like fresh for comparison. I ordered some MacBaren Acadian Perique and was pleasantly surprised when I received it that it was from the 2009 Chicago pipe show when they released it. It is absolutely amazing how much difference 5 years has made to that vs. fresh. I eagerly await the aging of my cellar as well.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I would let the VA's age some more if it were me. I would lean towards popping one of your LAT, OR, VA mixtures.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would probably open the oldest, and since it's 3.5 ozs, you'll have time to consider your next move.
McClelland Christmas Cheer 2000 ...premium pressed Virginia flake. Natural sweetness and zest. 3.5 oz 13yr 7mo

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
But that Christmas Cheer will likely develop and deepen for the next 20-30 years. The latakia blends are going to start fading long before then.
Bob

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In my experience 2 years makes a significant difference, but I believe I'm relating what I learned some years ago that 80% of aging occurs by 5 years. Although I'm sure 1 year old Cumberland, which has a preponderance of VA, is better, I don't notice it. This is to say that 18 months you might decide to go longer.
On the other hand you may have quit or died before long-term aging has occurred. And who is to say whether the pleasure you take smoking a blend fresh is worth waiting for the increased pleasure smoking aging's long-term aging results? I'll be in my mid-sixties by the time my cellar goes to 5 years. My guess is that I will still be smoking and that I will enjoy the aging effects then. My answer is to buy enough so that I can enjoy it aged but also enough to smoke now.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Leave that Westminster alone, it will continue to improve, according to Greg himself. I would try one of your jacknife plugs, you would still have 119 tins left!! That is an impressive cellar you got going there!

BTW- are any of your Gaslight tins expanding? I have 12 that I'm cellaring and they've swelled to the point that I'm afraid they may burst. I know that means they are "fermenting" but man, I'm afraid to touch them!

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
If you have anything from C&D or GL Pease, then about one year in the tin will have definitely helped them (most other manufacturers age them some before sale, but C&D is too small for that so a little aging helps almost all of their blends).

Otherwise, English blends show a change pretty quickly. I think Vas should sit for five years, minimum. They may be wonderful even when freshly tinned, but at five years they have usually started to really sing.

IMO, of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.