PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Christmas wasn't quite over at my house. That is, until the UPS van pulled up outside earlier today.

I had been reading good things about Cavicchi pipes, and the maker, Caludio Cavvichi.

His pipes looked good, and I was impressed by what he had to say about the materials he uses, his curing techniques, and the time he spends on details.

When I found an oom paul for a reasonable price, I thought I would give him a try. I'm really glad I did.

When I opened the box I was immediately struck by the quality looks of the pipe. It fit my hand perfectly, and it was very very light weight, implying that the briar was completely cured.

I found something I haven't seen on any other pipe I own. Where the tenon enters the mortise, there is a groove on the bottom. I wondered what this was for.

Upon smoking it, I ran an extra absorbant cleaner down the pipe without any resistance at all, as if the airway was made for this size cleaner.

I don't have the calipers and gauges to measure the diameter of the airway, but I'm sure Rick Newcombe would be pleased with it.

Anyway, I was really impressed with his attention to detail, this being an oom paul shape and all. Not many pipes with the bend that this one has, can accept a regular cleaner without resistance, much less an extra absorbant one.

It smoked great from the start. Cavicchi leaves the tobacco chamber "white" as he calls it. That is, raw. He says that it lets the owner form his own cake without any funny taste, which I appreciate.

So far I am more excited about this little Cavicchi that I have been about any other pipe I have purchased in a long time. My Christmas is complete now.
6347abb830aa9b2d313ed4e6cde5.jpg

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Such a fine looking pipe, Max....I've been lusting for a Cavicchi for some time now....perhaps someday... :?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Congratulations you lucky devil.

You can't go wrong with a Cavicchi.

To my mind the best pipes on the planet for the price.

I have four.

Birmingham0irish has five.

How many "C"s does it have?

My Volcano is a 5C and the others are 1's and 3's.
His work is simply superb.

Until just recently the only place you could get them here was at our local B&M. The Briary.

Here are mine.

cavicchibros-1-450x600.jpg

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks all.

And you call ME lucky, Lawrence?

With four Cavicchi's, you must be one lucky devil yourself. lol. Mine is a 2C, but it looks like a higher grade, with all the straight grain.

I have been smoking it all evening. Don't want to put it down yet.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Don't worry about rotation when it comes to your Cavicchi.

I smoke mine for a couple of weeks before I rest them.

As for the grain. Claudio is a stickler for great grain.

He wouldn't have it any other way.
Check out the birds eyes:
Cavicchi5Cbrd-i.jpg

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'm with hilojohnny... I've wanted a Cavicchi since I saw Lawrence's in his album. Someday....
-Jason

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Thanks for the recommendation. I just bought my first one, today. It's a one C. I'll post a pic when it arrives.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Very cool Obelus... Can't wait to see it.

It'll become one of you favorites in no time.

Just for fun... Run a cleaner through the stem before you stoke it up.

You'll see....

8O

Status
Not open for further replies.