PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I would love to own a Castello Shape 55 but right now cannot afford the price of them.

Are are other Italian pipe makers allowed make this shape? Or is this shape exclusive to Castello?

I would be interested to see other pipes even if the pipe is someone's take on the 55 shape.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
La Strada $42.75

004-006-20429.2460.jpg

Radice $308

002-030-2915.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Check out Ser Jacopo, Ascorti and Radice as these houses have the closest feel to Castello in my eyes. Savinelli makes a couple shapes that are close to the 55 as well. The 55 is my favorite shape and I own several, but they are often pricey as you said, pipes from the other houses I mentioned can often be had for half the price of a Castello or less and they will often smoke near as well. It doesn’t look the same as a 55, but the Savinelli 320 gives you the same satisfying hand filling feel of the 55. In any event, go onto SPC and search the listings, new and used of the houses I mentioned and you should find something very similar. Good luck.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I like Rad Davis’ version the best. I read Mike @ Briar Blues might be getting an estate piece in soon. 8O

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
It's my favorite shape as well. I have seen nice estate 55's at The Danish Pipe Shop under $200. They go quickly. Marty at Pulver's is reasonable on estates... As is Maxim at Pipes2smoke.
Radice makes some believable versions. Luciano did as well.
That La Strada lookis interesting at forty-two dollars!

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
jeffro;
A few brands make variations of the shape 55, bent pot. Ascorti, Caminetto, and Radice are a few.
What price range are you able to deal with, or what is your threshold for pain? ;)
Dave, you are correct. Not just a Rad Davis shape 55, a simply stunning Rad Davis shape 55, ring blast with smooth rim and Brindle stem, in near perfect condition. I have almost broken my 30 day rule every hour, since it arrived.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
What’s your budget? You can get much of what the 55 is all about from any broad bowled, thick walled, bent pot. Try spc’s pipe finder. Savinelli makes a few, many with uncoated bowls. Take out the filter to widened the airway and you’ll get in the 55’s ballpark.
If you must have a 55 lookalike Radice frequently makes a very similar pipe and they start around $200 for the rind finish. That would be a rare duck.
Typically you can commission a pipe for 200-400 depending on a whole host of things, but I don’t believe this is an easy shape to nail,...so that might be a factor, (really have no idea).
As to estates, well in the US, estate prices are often on par or just slightly below the cost of buying new from Italy. We have at least one site sponsor from whom I regularly buy Castello’s. Prices start around $196 for sea rocks and often old antiquaris. A quick peek at US vendors shows prices for similar pipes to begin around 120-150 more, for some bizarre reason. Follow the banner ads to an Italian vendor that has a new 55 for about 275 right now.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Gentleman, Thank you for all the info. I have not owned a pot shape yet so I want to spend less money first go.

For now I have been looking at estate bent pot shaped pipes and straight pot shapes.

From some of the brands you all listed.

I think I still prefer the look of the 55 shape. But who knows till I have one in hand.

You can never tell how a pipe feels from a photograph.

Fingers crossed that I will find one to my liking.
On a side note Michael, I watched your video of the unveiling of the Rad Davis 55. :worship: in a word Spectacular!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It was probably a previous thread on this subject that alerted me to its existence. (Shape 55) Here's one of the pics in that thread:

dk01_zps580f52b6.jpg

and here's the thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/shape-55-castello-fiammata-3k

Just in case you're pressed for time, here's another noteworthy 55, from fishbanjo, you might know.

6781584052e42ad17619af0c878775f5b6b482e.JPG

Here's one for sale: smokingpipes.com
002-386-2846.jpg

only $702.00

Oct 7, 2016
Fishbanjos 55 is noteworthy for not only being a Fiamatta, but for its "ruin marble" stem inlay. As far as I know Castello is the only pipe maker who uses this material. More about it here!

Status
Not open for further replies.