PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
Thanks for the amazing comments. I feel pretty lucky and humbled by my find. I passed a pipe cleaner with a bit of 151 through the stem and there is nary a fleck of brown. If this was smoked, it was maybe once. I'm excited to take this for a spin. Now to choose a tobacco to break it in.
Now, I know this is a special find but it does bring to mind that some of the allure of pipe smoking is the search (at least for me), whether it is a search for pipes or tobacco. I have been lucky in finding deals for my estate pipes.
The history behind these style of pipes is cool. I love that it is from a past date. I would love to know how it came to that vendor but probably will have to wait for a later date to inquire.
@mso The antique store was about 2 hours away on the way to nothing but lakes. I would have/should have left a card. I did check back every day that I was vacationing but nothing more was found. That vendor did have some other pipes that were quite worn and of not so great quality. I will for sure be stopping in if I am anywhere near there.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Didn't see this the first time around. What an amazing deal for under $20! Congrats.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Wow, missed this thread too! Great find and an unheard of price. I had an Old Antiquari poker with a fumed top, one of the best smokers I've ever had. Sold it when I was early on in the piping adventure, I've never had Dunhill Flake taste so good as in that pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it were me, I wouldn't think of selling. That's a life keeper. Again, if it were me, and I felt any twang of conscience, I'd tell myself the antique dealer handles so many different kinds of merchandise, and can't study the potential profit on each, so keeping the inventory going out the door is equally important. In his/her specialty areas, maybe furniture, the prices are likely more closely researched. I think you did extremely well indeed, and deserve this good luck. Some pipes I see in antique shops I actually wouldn't accept $5 to take them home. Some of the pipes that float to the surface are just miserable.

rynomart513

Lurker
Nov 26, 2018
I have a sea rock Castello in that shape. Probably newer. I bought it estate in great condition for $200 I think. $20 is unreal. It’s one of the best smokers I have.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
It is a great smoker. It’s in hibernation right now due to the cold but it will soon enough be filled with Virginia’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.