PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Now, with the participation and great help of the vendor of this very pipe,Tabacceria Corti-Italian pipe shop(Mr Luca took over and did monitor the whole process, then collected the pipe at the Castello manufacturers and had it shipped to me in (sic!)one single day,a man could not ask for more that's for sure.As for the repair itself, I'm pretty satisfied with the results,the only one thing which I'd like to have seen a slight taper to the new stem which is now absent,the original one was slightly tapered as You can see at the pictures,otherwise I have no complaints, the transition is smooth, button well shaped,drilled perfetto,and all this for 70e, judge by Yourself,Thanks for the comments.And Yes,the shank remains untouched.

cimg0188-600x450.jpg

cimg0192-600x450.jpg

cimg0191-600x450.jpg

cimg0194-600x450.jpg

cimg0189-600x450.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Well...
On the one hand it demonstrates the difficulty of creating a stem for a pipe after the fact, even for the people who made it in the first place.
On the other, I feel bad for Paul. Patience, equanimity, and optimism are supposed to pay off. :(
Image-6-11-19-at-4-15-PM.jpg

Image-6-11-19-at-4-17-PM.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@ Georged,Yes Sir,This You did demonstrated above is what I liked to show,Yet I'm wondering if this very stem can to be reshaped a little bit, then I have this original stem still here,perhaps down the road we could figure out something non these

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
My guess is that the rep stem was made by several people---meaning passed down a line of workers who each did their thing---and the bar emblem was put on an earlier worker's INTENDED bottom instead of the top.
Twist it over so the bar is on the bottom, and if the "elbow" disappears and the combined stem/shank assembly is straight, that's what happened for sure.
As for improving the straightness going forward, how much that can be done depends entirely on the width of the slot. How much material there is to work with. (Anywhere from no fix to a 100% fix could be possible). An end-on photo of the stem (what you see when smoking it) will tell all.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
There's enough material remaining on each side of the slot to "adjust away" the angle, I think, should you ever want to do that. Most of it, anyway... it would be a close call because of the slot's height. You don't want the narrower bite zone's radius to cut into the slot.
To satisfy my curiosity about how the "elbow" probably came to be, Paul, is the combined shank & stem assembly straight when the stem is twisted 180 degrees? (inserted upside down)

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Georged, Thanks for taking the time to answer, well,the combined shank&stem assembly is not 100% straight but likewise as with the original stem,the the upper side of the stem tapers (angles)a bit downward, I will try to get a photo done of this

Status
Not open for further replies.