PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Wow, Tim! Great collection!! :clap:
You're right about the cases ... never thought about it but they really add an element of class and vintage appeal.

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
Feel free to give us an update on how they color every few months, I can't get enough of those pictures :)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Thanks gang. I really enjoy them......enough, that I'm going to throw some of my Brit-Wood up on eBay......for more cased pipes. :mrgreen:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK since its News Years Eve here are a few of my cased 'cutty' pipes which I am sure you have all seen before!
2016_03_27_zpsjavxerjl.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Tip of the iceberg old boy and before anyone asks yes I smoke everyone of those plus many more but they all look depressingly the same!! :rofl:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Haven't seen all of those before. In particular, the 12th from the left middle, going clockwise, seems like a recent addition......

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have even more of the damn things if you want to see more pipes that all look the same. I picked up some real super ones recently that I had re-stemmed by Rik at Briarville but my new years resolution is to slow down on buying these types of pipes as its getting ridiculous!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Ash, those are some rare, old and interesting looking pipes, I assume each of those pipes came with the fitted case shown (except as mentioned), but I wonder who makes them (the cases)? Is there anyone out there these days who can make a case like that for a pipe? That would be an interesting thing to try to learn to do.
I would assume one takes a mold of some kind of the pipe, then cuts it in half, splits it, etc., then lines/upholsters it; would be interesting to read someone's write up who has experience in how they are done.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
OK since its News Years Eve here are a few of my cased 'cutty' pipes which I am sure you have all seen before!

8O -Holy shit!
Seeing them all in one shot ... very impressive. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great collection. They look like violins in their cases. They have a definite upper class ring, but also suggest that for pipe smokers of modest means, good pipes were treasures to be cradled in luxury. It adds to the ritual of a smoke to take down the case and lift the pipe from its velvet confines.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Ashdigger, that's a mighty fine collection! I, too, love cased pipes. GBD seems to have been the first company to put a metal rondelle in stems of meerschaum pipes; only Golden Horn and CAO followed suit (not including SMS's internally-located stem logos).

Status
Not open for further replies.