Cased, Gold-Banded Antique Re-stem (pic heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Another tough one, so I thought my fellow toolheads might get a kick out of it.
A serious oldie that was originally fitted with an amber stem that had gone the way of most amber stems after a century-plus.
The shank was threaded for a bone connector, so the first order of business was converting it to a modern-style push fit mortise before the new stem was started. This was done by request. (no pics showing it though, it's boring).
Next, the tenon was cut and the shank faced to square:
P3153286.jpg

-
Then, a "stem handle" was made to make some shaping steps easier (especially handy with full bents):
P3153287.jpg

-
Roughing in with the aid of guide lines (faceted stems are real punishers given half a chance... having lines helps a lot):
P3153290.jpg

-
The handle in use:
P3153293.jpg

-
Gettin' there:
P5013372.jpg

-
Further shaping after bending is almost always necessary when trying to fit a case, especially when the original stem is missing (no pattern to take measurements from).
Also, did I mention that the shank was angled a bit to one side and the shank face/mortise wasn't quite square? :lol: Getting a "geometric" stem with facets to look lined up AND correct the misalignments as much as possible is not for the faint-hearted. Some of that was also done at this time, after bending.
P5023374.jpg

-
Voila! :D
P1010111.jpg

-
Make and grade:
P5023379.jpg

-
Some gold apparently didn't always use proof marks. (It's 18, not 8... the "1" is mostly lost in the gleam)
P5023381.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That lovely is ready for another century. I particularly like the "stem handle" concept. I am also heartened that others have had to make the decision to refit a stem connection from threaded to push. I have an old Allen & Wright that needs the same refit, but the alteration required courage I had yet to work up.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
George, that's beautiful work on the faceted stem. Are you able to retrofit a screw tenon/stinger Kaywoodie into a push tenon as well or are the threads too integral?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

That's really amazing. Making a new stem for a pipe is one thing (that I can't do), but making a stem for a pipe that didn't have one to begin with; having to convert the mortise and then shape the stem to make it fit perfectly in it's case. Plus, a diamond shaped full bent stem on top of it. Wow! That's pipe repairman magic at it's best. A very nice job georged.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Are you able to retrofit a screw tenon/stinger Kaywoodie into a push tenon as well or are the threads too integral?
Depends on the shank diameter. (Fatter = morer gooderer for that)
And thanks everyone for the kind words. I've been a lifelong addict of that old show "How it's Made," and figure most pipe smokers might enjoy seeing our own little piece of that world from time to time. The Net has a lot of carving info, but not much repair stuff.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Skill like that is so vasty under rated it's close to impossible to be paid its actual worth.
Kudos George

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Some gold apparently didn't always use proof marks."
As it is 'rolled gold' it wouldn't need a hallmark stamp as rolled gold is basically a plating process where pure gold is overlayed onto a base metal, usually brass or copper. Only solid gold requires hallmarking.
That said, what a fantastic pictorial study of how a complicated stem is created from a plain old blank...fantastic work there George :clap:
Regards,
Jay.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I have one similar to that. No problem with the amber (knock on wood) but the stem is out of alignment when tightened. One of my favorite pipes and an excellent smoker. When I first got it, I could wet the wood where the stem screwed in and it was good for a couple of smokes. Doesn't work any more however.
Didn't think one would look that good with a black stem. Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.