PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Leamington Spa Courier- from over 100 years ago?? Holy Cow, Mr. Guss, that is some deep research! Nicely played.
(Had a classmate years ago who was born there. It's not exactly a big town.) In Hampshire, IIRC. Edit: Oops, friend was in Lymington, which is in Hampshire, South of London; the other (Lea-) is in Warwickshire, well North of London.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Jon,
Neat stuff! The question is whether the mention of Barling straight grains refers to a stamped designation or a visual description. I have a few YOWs from the teens that are tight straight grains, such that I wondered for a while if the YOW appellation was reserved for straight grain pipes at that time.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Jesse, I agree that's a question, but it's not the only one. The ads tell us that some pipes were marketed as Barling straight grains as early as 1912 (and I have many subsequent ads demonstrating the same thing over the ensuing decades), and the article demonstrates that there was an established market for straight grained pipes by 1904. But as you say none of that speaks to nomenclature.
For what it's worth I suspect Barling's straight grains were stamped as such; after all, YOW was likewise a classification, dated from around the same time, and appeared in ads and on the actual pipe. Even a century ago people liked to know they were getting what they paid for; I imagine guys buying a straight grain wanted it labeled as such.
Moreover we also know that Barling was making a big deal of the value of a beautifully straight grained pipe. I just found this cool ad (clearly a marketing stunt, except of course Barling would never stoop to marketing) from the Perthshire Advertiser, dated Nov 26 1927, placed by our old friend Charles Rattray:
finest-barling-straight-grain-perthshire-advertiser-saturday-nov-26-1927.png

I think that demonstrates enough economic value, and associated cachet, that it suggests straight grained pipes would be marked as such.
But at the end of the day all this, of course, is pure speculation. I don't think we'll ever know for sure unless we uncover another early catalog, or a hallmarked straight grain pipe from that era.
By the way, I found the Barling straight grained pipe mentioned in the Rattray's ad. I knew the family had already refused £100 pounds, so I offered Monty's heirs £101 and they took it.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Jon, how expensive is it to run those supercomputers and database servers in your basement? :D

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Dave, have you ever read Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? I get my power the same way Mannie Garcia O'Kelly-Davis did.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Dave, have you ever read Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? I get my power the same way Mannie Garcia O'Kelly-Davis did.
No I had to look that one up. Solar power? Hydrogen fusion? :|

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
"Neat stuff! The question is whether the mention of Barling straight grains refers to a stamped designation or a visual description. I have a few YOWs from the teens that are tight straight grains, such that I wondered for a while if the YOW appellation was reserved for straight grain pipes at that time.
My grain is pretty straight :D

So Jesse could be right, given the premium status of the YOW's .

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Dave, it's Heinlein's best book, and a Hugo winner to boot. Classic sci-fi, with liberal doses of his political philosophy mixed in. Basically Mannie, the protagonist, and his extended family adapt to a restrictive government by doing without, making, liberating, or worst case buying what they need. My comment was a joking reference to the liberating part.

Status
Not open for further replies.