PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
My most recent acquisition is this cased Barling's make YOW prince, made for "Finlay & Co LTD "

The silver date letter is so faint, it is near to unreadable.

Maybe some of you experts ( Jesse ? ) can help me a little, while I'm awaiting the ordered (much better than the current one )

jewellers loupe .

The stem is a replacement; it fits the case perfectly, but very close inspection shows that the original one had an orific button.
barlings-prince-2-600x450.jpg

barlings-prince-4-491x599.jpg

More pics. soon !

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is a very handsome pipe. The stain color looks wonderfully warm. The pipe overall looks to be in great shape and is the classic Prince shape, which didn't have a bend. There are a couple of interesting quirks, the stamping of the logo stamp on the bias, and the inside case stamp rotated 90˚. I have an old Barling from the teens with a biased stamp, though on mine, it's the name of the tobacconist. This is the first time I've seen the logo stamped on the bias. Barling stopped using orific bits in the late 1920's, and the "Special" inside case stamp came into use around 1907. So that gives you a little bit of a time frame for your pipe.

Finlay & Co was Barling's longest and largest customer and they would go on to buy the Barling company from the family in late 1960.

Congratulations on a wonderful addition to your collection!

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Thank you Jesse, you are a fountain of knowledge. I am very chuffed with it . The seller listed it as "old, antique pipe " and I purchased it for $65,00 which is very agreeable . Could the logo stamp be on the bias, because of insufficient space on the shank ?
The case shows that the or. stem must have had an orific button, though this one fits nicely and looks to have a handmade button.
The tobacconist's name is in straight stamp on the right side of the shank and I'll try to post a picture later.
The bowl interior is unfortunately a little weary and hollowed, so I will patch it up with some pipe cement, I prefer wood ash and water .

There are some dings and scratches on the bowl, some I will steam out, some witness for this pipe's journey through time.

Now try and read the date letter, it is so faint.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's certainly possible that the stamp was canted due to the short shank. I just realized that it has the "Ye Olde Wood' stamp, which wasn't used, to my knowledge, before 1913, so that shortens the time frame a little. At the time this pipe was made, the "Ye Olde Wood" was a grading. This was a premium graded Barling.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I consider myself very, very lucky with this one.

Jesse, when was the "Straight grain " introduced ?
I answere this on the other thread, but essentially, no one knows. At least as early as the late 1930's, based on one example that turned up with the name of a dealer who had gone out of business around the beginning of WW2, stamped on the shank. But the Barling published product line up doesn't show straight grains until 1953.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I've been poking a bit more into the straight grain question recently, and it might have been available in 1912 or earlier. Here's an item in the Dundee Evening Telegraph and Post dated Dec 11 1912:
barling-straight-grain-mention-evening-telegraph-and-post-dec-11-1912-v-2-600x321.jpg

And another item four months later in the Leamington Spa Courier dated April 11 1913 (note the mention of YOW, 1913 being consistent with Jesse's hallmarked pipe):
barling-straight-grain-and-yow-mentions-leamington-spa-courier-april-11-1913.png

Incidentally, does the YOW heading to the item imply it was a new nomenclature? No idea.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Thanks orlando, thanks George!
Straight grains go back at least to the end of the 19th century: here's an ad for Loewe straight grains from 1897:
early-straignt-grains-rhyl-record-and-advertiser-saturday-may-15-1897.png

More interesting still, here's an article from 1904 that attributes the straight grain "fad" to Oxford students:
origin-of-straight-grain-popularity-birmingham-mail-april-12-1904-v2.png

Obviously the author was not a fan. "Those damn kids and their foolish straight grains, what the hell do they think they're doing?"
[note: edited to make images large enough for gomers like me to read]

Status
Not open for further replies.