Capt. Black Grape -- Has Anyone Tried It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, I don't smoke many aromatics, like only tobacco forward, and don't do much pouch tobacco. But I was intrigued by the recent rehabilitation of Mixture 79 on Forums, with its licorice flavoring, so when Capt. Black came out with its grape aromatic recently, I was hoping someone would try it and review or comment briefly on it. I'm sure many would not find it delicious, since Forums tends toward non-aromatic or some specific tobacco forward aros. I fantasize that this pouch tobacco could be tobacco forward with a "nice," but not overbearing grape "tanginess," though I'm afraid grapes would have nothing to do with it. Big points if there is actual grape extract involved. Just curious, if someone has taken the plunge and come back with a report.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There are a couple guys on another forum who like the blend. I haven't tried it, though. Russ Ouellette said it smells like Grape Nehi.

Jan 8, 2013
I like both aromatics and non aromatics, depending on what I'm in the mood for. But I cannot see myself trying this one. I have no desire for grape in my tobacco. Just sounds gross to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At first the idea made me queasy, a grape aromatic. After my stomach settled, it seemed somewhat whimsical. I suspect, though I don't know, that Nehi grape soda flavor is entirely created by chemicals and not from grapes, but I may be wrong. I know many flavorings and fragrances are totally products of the lab and not of the natural flavors and smells being imitated, whether Gardenia or blueberry. Plenty of tobacco blends purport to be flavored with whisky, rum, liquors, and etc., so an actual grape flavor does not seem impossible, if it were also commercially price effective. If Capt. Black has that, they should promote it, although I think all brands evade revealing much about how they create blends, for competitive reasons. If I bought this at my local smoke shop with a coupon, I'd certainly report back, but someone else may beat me to it. Eh?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
This thread brought to mind the following:
th

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
hunter', the vaper angle is one I hadn't thought of. I wonder if the other food flavored pipe tobaccos are pitched this way. Licorice, chocolate, and so many others.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Grape pop or grape candy is not something I seek out in a pipe tobacco.
Then I watched that video ... I think I've been talked into trying out a pouch of this.
I guess I've tried and enjoyed cherry, raspberry, plum, orange, apple and mango tobacco. Maybe the grape is good! What the hell do I know? :wink:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I never tried it and unless a pouch falls into my lap along with a clay pipe I probably never will. I imagine it tastes like purple.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It could be good. In my imagination, I'm visualizing something with a distinct grape flavor with a little tang, under some reasonable quality Virginia or burley, or a mix. Also, the flavor would be resilient enough to be consistent through the pouch and not come on too strong at first and then fade after the third bowl. It can't be too moist, goopy as we say. If the grape flavor sticks in the back of your mouth with no tobacco flavor, it might tweak your gag reflex, not good. So, I'm thinking this could be done, but if so, it is a neat trick. If the flavor is created only with grape derivatives, that would be a very good indicator -- if not, not. The idea may be more interesting than the blend, but I don't rule it out.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Hell, I don't even like grapes that taste like grape, so I will definitely be skipping this one. In addition to that, it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to enjoy the occasional bowl of Captain Black anything because it leaves a viscous slime layer behind on my tongue and hard palate. I'm a die-hard, though, and insist on smoking some once in a while.
As far as the appealing to vapers thing goes, I'm not sold on that. Middleton's Apple has been around ages longer than vaping. I'd guess they're more going after the flavored cigar market than the vape market.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
This question came up some months ago; I'd be the first to say Nyet to grape flavored tobacco too, it just isn't something I think of wanting to smoke, but just as with the last time, all of the respondents then and now, none of you have actually tasted it to KNOW you don't like it! Now, I'm not your volunteer, but if I had a sample I'd at least try it before totally deciding the stuff is bad. Who knows---- someone at Captain Black thought it a tasty and marketable idea! I nominate MSO to buy a pouch and let us know. :mrgreen:
Someone's got to get their toe wet.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I'm curious enough to try it if given a sample, surprised to have not seen this at any gas stations so far.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
I don't think I could do this one. Certainly wouldn't pay money for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
toobfreak, I just don't want to order a pouch, pay shipping, and then see, or get in the mail, a coupon that would get me a pouch for a buck ... and then find out I don't like it anyway! If I can wangle a pouch from the Capt. Black people and/or my local smoke shop, I will certainly be the guinea pig and report back in lurid (or delightful) detail. Otherwise it will be a $15 cheap thrill. For that I can get a tin of the good stuff from my local independent pipe shop, and support the shop. They don't sell Capt. Black.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I bought a pouch. The odor was so strong that it convinced me not to sacrifice a cob on it. It was definitely that signature artificial grape flavor that one finds in bubble gum, drink mixes and candy.
I ended up double bagging it and sending it along in a deal to another forum member.
The cigars with the same flavoring were pretty successful. A very young crowd were buying those cigars and they were mostly peeling off the wrapper and re-rapping it with a different kind of tobacco.
I'm with you on the "idea" of a natural grape essence paired with some burley.
MSO, Planta makes a tobacco named "something different." I found it at Just For Him. I think this might be somewhat interesting to you. Check it out - it had a sweet and sour kind of flavor that didn't overwhelm the tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'tango, thanks for the Planta idea; I'll definitely check it out. Capt. Black grape sounds heavy handed. Flavoring, like scent at the fragrance counter in the department store, can be almost sickening. I might still run the Capt. Black experiment if I encounter a pouch. Meantime, Planta might work better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.