Capt. Black Grape -- Has Anyone Tried It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
At first I thought this was about Captian Bob's Blend, which has a grape flavor to it. I for one didn't like it because as Russ said, it tastes like grape Nehi. Now I realize he wasn't talking about Captain Bob's but rather Captain Black. I've never tried it nor would I because I never liked Nehi grape soda, and I sure don't like grape flavored tobacco.
Someone wan't to compare the two?

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
That is what I do Michael, I take some good, strong, tasty he-man tobacco and mix it into some aromatic. Around 50-50, you still get the character of the stronger tobacco but with a hint of the aro, and that is usually just about right with a lot of them.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Update to Duane: I've looked most everywhere and as far as I can tell, P&C is the ONLY place selling the grape!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
toobfreak, I noticed smokingpipes sells Capt. Black ... but NOT grape. I take that as their editorial comment. You have to draw the line somewhere.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I ended up double bagging it and sending it along in a deal to another forum member.
Full disclosure:
BTW lasttango, it's still double-bagged and unopened. I have yet to screw up the gumption to give it a go...

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
MSO, yep, everyone carries the Capt. Black but only P&C carries the grape. If I had any reason to order more tobacco right now, I'd get a pouch of grape to try and spread around, but I'm really moving away from this direction, smoking-wise. I've tried enough fruiti-tutti and bubble gum and caramel-coconut-licorice.
You have to draw the line somewhere.
That is what she said last night! :mrgreen: har! har!

japox

Lurker
Mar 4, 2017
An uncynical review of CPG that compares that odor to Big League Chew.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/comments/5t8he9/uncynical_review_of_captain_black_grape_and_pj/

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Its on my list to try,can't be any worse then cherry,peach,vanilla or chocolate flavored pipe tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
japox, that's a good review, very level-headed. This sees Capt. Black grape as a sort of comfort food dessert tobacco, like Jello with marshmallows or something. The fact that it is somewhat dry and that the review doesn't mention the gag reflex is hopeful. So if I am in a position to wrap it into another order or buy it with a coupon, it might be worth a try. And I would certainly share the experience if it comes to pass.

japox

Lurker
Mar 4, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/comments/6028zk/scientific_smoking_with_fuzzy_totemz_do_aros/
It's too bad Russ O. will never get to bring "Grapakia" to market under the new FDA rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.