PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
anyone else have this problem? my tobacco jars/pipe holders are situated near my work desk. i work from home and im on conference calls most of the day. i find myself opening jars, taking a huge sniff, and closing them back up over and over again throughout the day. im sure this will effect how they age eventually but i just cant help it. they all smell so good

Reactions: oldtoby

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
When I start to think about my various jarred baccy, and then go to my "cellar" cabinet to get my jars and tins out, I usually end up smoking a pipe puf

Reactions: oldtoby

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
I can only smoke once a week, and I when I do smoke I usually want to pop a tin on a new blend (I've got quite a backlog...), so everything in the jars is aging. I would love to pop them open for a smell, but I don't want to disrupt this aging process. Drives me crazy! Sometimes I sniff the lid of the unopened jars/tins to see if I can get a whiff lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The words aroma therapy come to mind. I agree with warren it isn't so akin to smoking, but I certainly enjoy it too. The sense of smell (olfactory) is powerful and evocative. I enjoy a hit from an unlit cold briar or cob too, the mixture of bowls enjoyed over time. Yesterday, I popped the top of a small jar of 1-Q I haven't smoked in a year; I think it was a better whiff than it was a smoke last time I had it. I'd forgotten the caramel or whatever it is.

Reactions: drydock

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Well, you could Just have one sacrificial jar on your desk and hide all the rest.

Or.. just give up on aging. That's fine too. The idea that everything must be perfectly cellared for ten years before it's worth smoking is a fairly recent phenomenon. We've all gone a little crazy on the idea if you ask me.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
anyone else have this problem? my tobacco jars/pipe holders are situated near my work desk. i work from home and im on conference calls most of the day. i find myself opening jars, taking a huge sniff, and closing them back up over and over again throughout the day. im sure this will effect how they age eventually but i just cant help it. they all smell so good
Yeah.... Im in the exact same situation, work from home, shelf with Tobak on it across from my desk, I'm looking at it all the time and some days I just have to go over for a sniff

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I, too, am a sniffer. As I don't usually smoke in the house, and I have quite a few open tins, I'll pop one open for a sniff, while working at my desk. Usually it's one of the English blends, as I love the smell of Virginia mixed with Latakia. Mmmm.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I agree that the smell can be intoxicating and can satisfy if it's not quite time for a pipe yet. I can smell my cellar drawer/cabinet when I walk into the room, I hope that it's not a bad thing!

I also let my non-pipers smell different tobbacs to see what they sense is different between them. They always choose the 1Q over the Balkan sobranie as far as smell goes.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
When people ask what do you have there, when I start to prepare a bowl in public, I tell them it’s potpourri. We laugh and when they stick their nose in my pouch or little Tupperware container, they say that smells good.

Status
Not open for further replies.