Can't Believe I just did this... bought an accordion!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
All my life, I've had two unfulfilled bucket listers with music... accordion and bagpipes. (I'm a retired music teacher... primary instruments: piano/organ, brasses - playing tuba now on that front... and a whole shtload of folk instruments.) Somehow the winter doldrums just got to me and I found this FANTASTIC little store/business in Philadelphia wholly dedicated to accordions... so I bit!
hofman-acc-600x394.png

The thing is, it shoots and shuts down my allowance through October!!! PAD and TAD will be off limits! (Unless I win the lottery!) I've never gone that long without yielding to temptation. Let's call it The Great Experiment!

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Thats awesome, I have been wanting a concertina for a long time and also must stop buying pipes.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Congratulations, man. Always nice to pick up another instrument or language, good luck not buying anything else until October.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Awesome! I love the sound of a well-played accordion. Zydeco, Norteno, and Newfie music are among my favorites, and you can't have those without the accordion. Here's to years of joy learning a new friend.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Good luck holding off on the PAD/TAD, I suggest every time you feel the itch, go play that thing till the urge passes

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Good luck on the music. PAD/TAD is easier to control if you get the money in cash and keep it in your sock drawer until you find something you really want. No $ = no new tobacco.
Obviously, this is easier if you already have a lifetime or three's worth of tobacco.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Here's mine once owned and played by The King Of Zyedco

Clifton Chenier, how I acquired it is a long story, will tell after a smoke and coffee. I also play the Cajun Accordion, not good but fair, Grandpaw played the keys off of them.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Theres a shop here in Louisville with a big selection of accordions..I like to look at them. I'm a drummer though so I can't playem.
I DID see some bagpipes recently at an antique shop!

I picked them up, gottem situated, and deftly played Mary Had a Little Lamb. It's basically a recorder... my friend I was with couldn't believe what she was seeing.

That's awesome! Good luck with the T and P ADs.

I came to music late in life. I envy those that come to music naturally. It was about ten years ago I bought my first ukulele and then just a year or so later I picked up the banjo. I'm not great, but (as they say) if only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.

Enjoy!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Well done! I play too, my one tip is to start by playing in front of the mirror! I did that for about a month before my left hand really knew what it was up to ha, you might not need to though...
Isaac

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Haha! That's not a thread title you see everyday, but it is pretty neat!

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Im a string player, been playing the uke since I was a kid, as well as the piano and guitar. I had an accordion for a long time, but like most instruments that I dont have the time to learn, I rehomed it to someone who could play it. I wish you luck in not buying anything!

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
If I could read music, the first instrument I would purchase would also be an accordion. I love all music that has an accordion playing in the background: Tex-Mex, polka, zydeco, Tejano, etc.
My favorite accordion player is Flaco Jimenez.
Click here ==> Flaco Jimenez on Youtube

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I am THRILLED AND DEELIGHTED with everyone's feedback!!! Wow!!! What fun!! And tbrad!! Clifton C's very own!!! Incredible!! I got my first exposure through German beer hall music and polka bands, but I love it all!! Maybe we all oughta get together and form the Mighty Pipes Magazine Forum Band!! Another excuse to both play AND talk smoke!! We could make all the shows, have our own tour bus, roadies, groupies and everything! Weeeeeeeee!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.