Can't Believe I just did this... bought an accordion!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Aw, you're already an accomplished keyboard man, so you just have to adapt to this keyboard format. I'd say, you're far along in your accordion playing. Lot's of great music genres to dip into -- klesmer, Parisian cafe, Polka, and so much more. Accordions got tagged as some kind of corny old time thing, but I think that's gone by. A lot of people dancing to and attending performances of the different kinds of music.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
YES! Always wanted an accordion, bagpipes, a glass harmonica, and a theremin.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
In the 80s my good friend from Opelousas quit Exxon and moved back to his home town and bought a Bar next to a Pawn shop. He knew I played the Acordion and saw one day a Piano Acordion bought it for 35$ , called me and I went to Opelousas and picked it up. A while later he calls and says a musician for Clifton had stole it and pawned it. I finally got thru to Clifton and talked to him, I said you remember the pretty lady whose ear ring you found while playing for New Year's Eve in Abbeville, he says I sure do, she had to give me a kiss to get it back. I said I'm her husband. I've bought your Acordion, and do you want it back? No he said I knew he had pawned it but not to who, keep it and if I ever need it I'll call you. So years pass, he dies and they start a Museum to Clifton. This year I will give it back to the Mesum. My friend did not make a go of the Bar and I was instrumental in getting him hired back on.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Does Equis commercials have nothing on our resident Cajun. Brad Is the most interesting man in the world! :clap:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Here's mine once owned and played by The King Of Zyedco Clifton Chenier."
Make that THE King of Zydeco, as there was no one better:

th

Here's a link (The Cat's Dreamin') to one of my favorites by Mr. Chenier, a lovely, languid blues piece. Think blues and the accordion simply don't mix? Then this just might change your mind...

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Absolutely cool! The accordion sounds like it would be so much fun to play. :clap:
You're never too old to learn. I'd always been a string player (just about anything with strings since early childhood), but I've always been very slow writing music manuscript. Sometime past 40 I started learning keyboard. I'm not a natural nor virtuosic, but I could actually play parties (I don't :wink: ) and, thanks to modern computing power and an electronic keyboard, I can orchestrate very quickly now.
I wish you success in "The Great Experiment." :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@MSO- Klezmer is another genre that wouldn't be complete without the accordion. How could I forget that one?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Maybe we all oughta get together and form the Mighty Pipes Magazine Forum Band!! Another excuse to both play AND talk smoke!!
Maybe there is some way to wedge a lit briar bowl in the grille, get the bellows to do the puffing!

Jun 4, 2014
Cograts on your purchase. My grandfather played the accordion, I have fond memories of him sitting in his rocker playing german folk songs or playing Hail to the Chief when someone came through the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.