PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Price has little to do with it except, and this is important, your chances of getting a great pipe increase with cost, within reason.

What Warren said.

When I am attempting to sell a pipe, I like to say "buy the best pipe you can afford." This weekend I sold 2 baskets, 3 cobs, and two pipes over $100....ensured all were drilled well and could take a cleaner.

I've had a basket smoke better than a Dunhill....but there's been many baskets I talk people out of due to drilling issues and very few high end pipes that have drilling issues.

And whether a cob or a high end I STRESS cleaning and proper care...b/c as Cosmic said some folks can drop $800 easily on a pipe. And I don't know if the person I'm selling a cob to today; will end up wanting an $800 pipe later, and I want the person to love each pipe they own

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I didn't understand the outlandish prices for some pipes when I first started out. Then someone pointed out all the time that goes in to making those high end pipes and it made more sense. With some of them you're paying for about a weeks worth of work. That's a lot of time. Now the number is more justified for me.
Of course name is part of it. A carver with a long history and good reputation will carry a higher price tag. Same for manufacturers.
As to whether they're better or not I personally do notice much better engineering. The higher I've gone up price wise the better the draw has been the better balanced the pipe has been and the more comfortable the bit has been.
It doesn't mean you can't get a reliable good smoker for under $100. That's totally possible. As someone else said I agree the lower the price the bigger the craps shoot it is that it'll be a good smoker.
I also think the estate market is great advice. SmokingPipes has a wonderful restoration department and you can get some really good deals there.

anchovyd

Might Stick Around
May 17, 2015
A big difference between the cheap pipes and pipes in the $100 range is the stem. There is a huge difference between something like a Grabow or Medico and a $90 Savinelli/Peterson/Brebbia and the most significant difference is in the stem. A lot of times the cheap pipes smoke decently and are drilled properly but they are a bit uglier, look cheap and the big thing is the stem feels totally uncomfortable in your mouth. Even if you are not a clencher you will learn to loathe the cheap, painful stem. Once you end up with a pipe with a great stem you'll be giving your cheap pipe its walking papers.
The hand made pipes with hand cut stems are even better than your run of the mill Savinelli. If you are trying to do this on the cheap, I suggest getting a lightly smoked italian hand made. You can pick up some of the lesser sought after brands for $60-70 (you might even find one unsmoked for that price) on the bay and it will be a great smoking pipe with a stem that is comfortable in your mouth. I also recommend getting a billard since they also feel so natural in your hand and are almost foolproof to order online. Other shapes are cool but you really need to feel them in person at a real pipe shop to see if you'll like it.
Grabows/Medicos smoke well but are uncomfortable. Save your lunch money and spring for a lightly used or unsmoked italian for $70. If you are really hard up and cob receptive, the Missouri Meerschaum Freehand is a hell of a pipe with a decent stem for $25.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
aldecaker opined:
Stanwell Brushed Browns and Brushed Blacks sell for $50, and I have yet to hear a complaint about them.
Agreed. I bought a Stanwell brushed black poker when they were on sale at P&C a few months ago and it's one of my favorites now.

Status
Not open for further replies.