PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Back in the 80's I saw some pipes that were carved by a convict. As to the best of my recollection, he was serving a life sentence in Washington State for murder. This guy was an absolute master at carving. He didn't do adstract designs but rather he carved realistic scenes on his pipes. I saw one called "The Hound of the Baskervilles" complete with Holmes and Watson standing over the dead hound with Baskerville hall in the background. Another was of a well known pipe maker working on a pipe. The head and face of the pipe maker was well done so well you would recognise him. This jailbird did supurb work!
Unfortunatly I don't remember the pipe maker's name. If any of you know who he is and can post any pics of his work I'm sure everyone would appreciate it. I know I would like to see pics of some of his pipes.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I can understand an 'artist' but a person that has been convited should NEVER be considered an artist. Their art is tainted by thier lack of morals. It may be a masterpiece, but it is not one that I wish to buy.

He may be the greatest artist in the world, but would you feel comfortable smoking one of his pipes on your porch?

I agree with rehabilitation, but I do NOT want an 'Al Bundy' hanging out of my mouth.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I would have to disagree with a felon cannot be an artist. A few prime examples are Willie Nelson, Tommy Chong, and Johnny Cash to name a few. I can see never wanting their items but an artist is an artist no matter what they have done good or bad within their lives.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I didn't think this thread would get that kind of reaction. I was not interested in his morals, just his pipes. And besides, I can think of a couple of pipe guys running the streets that are as big a skunk as he is...

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I can understand an 'artist' but a person that has been convited should NEVER be considered an artist
Where does that logic come from? Thats like saying a baker should never be nconsidereda good musician because....oh my goodness, he BAKED! It lacks any reasoning.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Whoa...one thing I learned in this life, you never know what lurks deep in the heart, yet glistens on the surface.
My philosophy is time spent is time served. Some have paid for transgressions and others have yet to pay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For a guy in jail, pipe carving is a pastime, a distraction, a recreation, a personal expression, a form of freedom; and should not be allowed.

I think a convict should be occupied making license plates and other items of use to the State (like gravel stone). He should, however, be allowed to smoke -- but only aromatics in a corncob.
Here's the story of Ronny Thunér -- Swedish pipemaker and, to hear his side of it, former miscreant.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Because this thread spawned some interest, I'll tell you what else I remember about him.
His crime was committed in Alaska and he didn't start out to commit a murder. He got in a fight with a guy and thought he had killed him, paniced and decided to bury the body to hide it, when he was covering up the body he saw it move, paniced again and finished the job... that last bit is what got him the life sentence.
But let's not bicker about if he's an artist or not, let's see if one of us can come up with some info as to who he is and better yet some pics of his work. I'm sure you would all be impressed.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Another clue. I understand Marty Pulver of Sherlock's Haven in San Francisco owns the Baskerville pipe. Any of you who know him might ask him about it and share the info.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I am trying to locate it Searock (now I am intrested). I think it would be neat to see his work. Also wonder if he still carves, and how does an inmate get the tools to carve with anywho.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
Heres a quote that i feel might be pertinent to this discussion ...As for morals, well, lets just say that theres a fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning!
"

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible."

Bertrand Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.