PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish831

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
Hello Folks,

I joined PipeMagazine a week ago to be a member of this great online pipe community AND to ask if anyone can tell me the maker or style/shape of this pipe I have had for years?

I assume it is British made due to the silver band that is stamped "Sterling Silver" on the shank. There are no other markings at all. It must have been a great daily smoker as it has several deep cracks in the bowl and it's dedicated owner wrapped sewing thread around the tenon to keep it going. I was hope to find one of these in better shape. Thank you in advance and keep puffing!!!

P1010005.jpg

P1010001.jpg

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
sure is a nice looking old pipe, must of been a good smoker.

i don't know what brand it might be.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I certainly have not seen a pipe like that before, but without a makers stamp this might prove difficult to nail.

As for the Sterling Silver stamp, it doesn't always go, that Sterling Silver is British. Indeed, all US hallmarks are stamped either "Sterling" or "Sterling Silver". If it was British Sterling, then there would be 3 additional marks that would be on it which would indicate the City where it was assayed, the quality of Silver, and a date letter.

For these reasons, I would go out on a limb and say that there is a very good possibility that the pipe was manufactured in the US. This is assuming, of course, that the silver band is not a repair band. If it is, then all you can say is that the pipe was likely to have been repaired in the US.

pipefish831

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
Thank you so much guys! Would this be considered a squat Diplomat style bowl? The whole pipe is flat and broad from the top, yet very narrow from the side. Here is another shot from the side.
P1010009.jpg

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I've got an old MacDuff in my hand that appears to have the exact same arched "Sterling Silver" in the same font...also with no hallmark.

And it's not much, but the slot in the stem is about the same width in relation to the total width of the stem, which is a little narrower than one would expect, the whole tip looks very similar.
I can post pictures if you like.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cool pipe.
My first thought on that pipe was that the shank may have been broken in the past.

It was cut and a silver band installed to prevent any more difficulties from splitting, and a new bit made. That may explain why there are no maker's marks on the pipe.

My Dad's Favorite Old No Name may share a similar long and venerable history.

It's definitely a keeper.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Here are the photos of the stem tip and the sterling band.

This is a MacDuff "Silver".
100_0773.jpg

100_0774.jpg

100_0767.jpg

I have searched the world over and found NOTHING about MacDuff pipes or MacDuff Tobacco. So who knows,....maybe it was commissioned for a MacDuff family reunion or something silly like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.