PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcloud

Lurker
Jul 23, 2014
After a brief honeymoon with a mini cob I concluded that it isn't suitable for multiple daily smokes. I am now thinking of getting a small cob to enjoy multiple times a day, DGTing between puffs. Could one use a cob for multiple smokes a day, daily? I know a briar would need rests, but could one reasonably abuse a cob? Thanks for replies

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Honestly, cobs are so inexpensive that that should be your last worry with them. Smoke the hell out of it. At work, I've literally thrown my cob across the room, picked it up, and continued to smoke it. If I could I'd have a cob going all day everyday at work, with no concern over abusing it. If it starts to taste funny, run a pipe cleaner through it. If it burns out, buy a new one.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
It is possible to pull the shank right out of the bowl if you're removing a tight stem - but it's also pretty easy to fix that, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. As for overdoing smoking the pipe, again - they're cheap enough that if you're worried, buy a couple of small cobs and rotate them.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey mrcloud ... I answered some of this on your other thread.
The small cobs are great multiple DGT'rs.
My Tom Sawyer is good for 3-4 five minute smokes with the last one still being good.
Lightly stir the top, dump the ash and relight with a tamp.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Actually, cobs dry out really quickly, especially the ones that don't have plaster on the outside. That's one of the reasons that people who smoke a number of bowls in one day tend to enjoy cobs.
Russ

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Yes, you can, but its pretty kinky. If its a kink you are looking for there are better things than cobs.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
4 dollars is cheaper than most blends... I think all pipe smokers should have at least one, they are the best for working or just shoving in your pocket, they dry out pretty quickly and dont hold as much flavor as brairs, id say go for it!

peteross

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2012
Salida, CA
General consensus and my opinion seem to state that if you can't afford to abuse your cob then its time to find a new hobby! Puff on

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you stow a few around in your house, car, and work place, you can rotate and don't have to abuse them

in particular. You can, but at those prices, why?

mrcloud

Lurker
Jul 23, 2014
Wow, I am blown away from all the responses to my question... and I loved the humorous ones too. I guess the consensus is that a cob may be abused! I shall strive to put one through great use to see what it can withstand. Thank you everyone for all your helpful, and lighthearted, replies.
PS a member private messaged me to offer sending a pipe. I am beyond imoressed by his generosity. I dunno but im beginning to think all og you are a top notch bunch of true gentlemen!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Cobs are great for those that smoke multiple bowls a day and are afraid to smoke a briar pipe more than once without fearing that they'll ruin it. Of course I don't worry about things like that, but a cob can surely handle the abuse. Worse case scenario, if you do burn it out, you're only about a couple bucks. It will take a lot of abuse for you burn it out though. I would recommend a Diplomat. Its got a nice size bowl, and it fits well in the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.