PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafterman

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2011
I've been smoking my first flake cut tobacco, Mac Baren's Navy Flake specifically. I am falling in love with the smoking characteristics of flake tobacco, and I enjoy the flavor profile of this "navy" blend.
Could you fine folks recommend any other "navy" style flakes that I may enjoy?
Thanks
-Travis

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Thats easy Stokkebye LUXURY NAVY FLAKE , even better when you see the price point .http://peterstokkebye.com/pipe_p_bulk_sig.htm#luxnavy

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I've got to agree with those who have already posted PS Luxury Navy Flake is very good and as Lawrence LBF though not a navy is none the less excellent IMO anyway... :puffy:

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
McClelland's Navy Cavendish is my favorite of those that have been mentioned. :puffy:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I've asked this before but no one seemed to know. I'll ask again cuz' it's free to do so on this internet thingy.
What is the definition of a "Navy" flake?

Is it the inclusion of rum?

Is it the shape, a coin cut vs. other shapes?

Or is it simply that all flake is Navy flake due to it's origin?

From Mac Barens "History of Flake Tobacco":

The tobacco block was placed on the cutting board and with his knife he would cut slices of tobacco as thinly as possible. The seamen called a slice a ”flake” (today we are all familiar with the term “Navy Cut”, which actually dates from the birth of the flake).
I did send this query for consideration to GLP for inclusion in his column, hasn't been addressed yet.
So what is it that makes a "Navy Flake" a "Navy Flake"?

Jul 12, 2011
I haven't tried SG's Navy flake, but if it is like all their others I imagine

it to be outstanding. I also have tried MB's Navy Flake, which was very mild on flavor IMO
As for the navy class...I though it was a flake with lat+rum in it

Status
Not open for further replies.