PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I was at the Davidoff store in Atlanta yesterday and saw these absolutely wonderful Dunhill pipe stem stockings. They protect the vulcanite stems from oxidation when on a rack. They were given to the store directly from Dunhill and they can't be purchased. I called around and nobody is able to get them.
If anyone knows how to sew or has a significant other that wants to give this pattern a shot, I would be happy to arrange a commission.
xBEjt9j.jpg

Cgr4Hd2.jpg

6BZKRSm.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I wouldn't use them in a lighted situation; the part covering a bit of the shank will end up lighter than the rest of the bowl. Of course they could be trimmed to not do that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks like an easy project for an ardent sower, and people are either ardent sewers or don't sew at all. I can do buttons and the occasional small tear. These would be great items. However, it also nibbles at me that there is some other small light weight sleeve like this that would double as a stem sock, and if it occurs to me, I'll post again.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Am I missing something or is this just a strip of fabric folded lengthwise and sewn along the edges?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Am I missing something or is this just a strip of fabric folded lengthwise and sewn along the edges?

Not really. They are sewn with the seem inside. Classy. I would consider actually using them if they looked this nice. Currently, I put my vulcanite stem pipes in a pipe cabinet with drawers to avoid oxidation. My Castello pipes sit on the racks in the light because the stems are lucite and not a worry.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Not really. They are sewn with the seem inside.
Ha!.. Bunch on non-sewers!

They are sewed just like you would a pillow case. You sew the seam on the outside, then when done turn it inside out thus giving the appearance of it being sewn from the inside.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

This is reminding of the scene from Mr Mom when he tries to make an analogy using a Rocky movie. The point gets lost in the minutia.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I don't get it. Destroy the appeal of seeing a proper pipe by putting a condom on the stem to avoid the oxidation that will make it ugly. Although this is a worthy goal, it comes at a steep price.
And of course you could just clean the stems, which of course if you were willing to do, your pipes would never be ugly and they wouldn't have to wear the funny coverups.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Doesn't appear to be doing much. The top pipe in the first pic and the bottom pipe in the second pic are showing a bit of green.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
What do you reckon the fabric is made of? My wife is pretty handy with her sewing machine and has made a few items here and there. She's about to start on a new quilt for our bed. If you have some kind of idea what the fabric is or even what you think might work, then maybe she could give it a go.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Carolina, don't let her forget the white spot. I suppose that's so that when people look at them in the stores, they know they're looking at a Dunhill junker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
hagley says cut the fingers off cheap work gloves; brilliant! I love a practical fix.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
There are some good ideas above. Some strange ones also. After looking at my Pipes I realized that the stems are all different lengths and thus a universal stocking won’t work. But good idea for people with standard English pipes.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The primary agents that cause rubber and plastics to deteriorate are UV radiation (as you mention - light), high humidity, high temperature, oxygen and pollutant gases, and stress and other direct physical forces. I understand that it will block UV as a source but the overall causes of oxidation are more than light exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.