PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Ha! I had been thinking about making something like these! I have been lining my pipe storage boxes with cloth used to prevent silver from tarnishing. The primary reason is that many of my pipes have silver fitments, but had wondered if the sulphur absorbent properties might also prevent vulcanite oxidation. It's WAY too soon to know if it helps. Anyway, it had occurred to me that it might be useful to make small socks like these and thought that black silver cloth might be a good material.
Does the white dot suggest they came from The White Spot Pipe company?
I wouldn't use them in a lighted situation; the part covering a bit of the shank will end up lighter than the rest of the bowl. Of course they could be trimmed to not do that.
I think I can fairly definitively put this concern to rest. I do not believe briar is photo-reactive like cherry, for example. I had this same concern having purchased at auction a set of two dozen fine, unsmoked English pipes that had been mounted in (gulp) metal conduit clips in a museum showcase since the 1980s. I was concerned that the briar underneath the clip and the side facing the back of the case would be lighter in color. I was worried about the wrong thing. No problems with color, but scratches from the clips were another story.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
You could probably use a felt pen sleeve. Looks about the same and you can pick up the sleeves for under a buck a piece in bulk.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
White Spot Pipe Company? Well, duh, if I had taken ten seconds to read Neal’s original post, I’d have see that they’re Dunhill. Of course, if you could buy them, that White Spot would mean they’d cost three or four times the normal price. I can’t believe what they charge for their accessories.
My current solution is to only display pipes with acrylic stems. Those with vulcanite stay in drawers or lidded pipe trays.

Status
Not open for further replies.