Can Someone Please Explain Prince Albert?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I keep reading reviews of this stuff as its been a burley I've considered trying but I can't find an actualy description of the aroma, taste and smell. All the reviews I read seem to say "tastes great" or "horrible tobacco" or "awesome aroma" but what is the aroma?! What is the taste?! Sweet? Smokey?

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
I reminds me of some aromatics, but it doesn't seem to leave much of a ghost. It's chocolatey and nutty, with a bit of a anise thing in the background, perhaps. The reason it's so difficult to describe is there isn't a whole lot there. What flavor is there almost tastes like a casing. It reminds me of those white custard balls you sometimes see at Chinese restaurants, or perhaps chocolate mousse, with the chocolate turned way down. It's not bad, but there is nothing distinctive about it at all. You can get most C&D blends for about the same price by the pound. My girlfriend tells me PA has a wonderful room note, if that means much to you, though.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
in another forum I had asked an old PA fan about his love for the stuff... he cites the simplicity of it, just good plain burley.
I didn't love it at first, but I have found that I frequently like to start the day with it due to its simplicity... seems to prepare me well for other smokes. I would almost call it the water of pipe smoking. when you're thirsty, it satisfies. It's not a great IPA beer (FVF), or a fruity ice tea (Any aromatic), it's just water. It's nice, simple, and satisfies.
thats what I'm a fan of ....

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
prince albert is like the cheeseburger of tobaccos. it's not filet mignon but who needs that every night? it's got a sweet nutty flavor and it's easy to smoke. it doesn't smell or taste anything like a cigarette. it's cheap enough that there's no reason not to try it.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Isnt it that thing involving a ring, urethra and come considerable pain? Hahahahahahahahahaha. Sorry. I had to.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've been smoking PA for 30 yrs. now. It's just a good honest no frills smoke. I even use it in roll your owns, where it yields a smooth cigarette. Course I prefer my SOTE & Pirate Kake, English and Balkan blends, but PA is good. Room note for non smokers OK too. Been around for ever. And that says a thing or two.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Hahahahahahahahahaha. Sorry. I had to."
Had to WHAT?!
I'm not a fan of Prince Albert myself, but to each his own. But it seems like this and other OTCs get a pass from a lot of guys merely because of their history. 'Gramps smoked it, so it's good enough for me." Sure your grandfather might have smoked it, but do we know that the Prince Albert available today is the same as the one from decades ago? I'd also challenge those give it points for its heritage by saying "if you knew NOTHING about this tobacco and were tasting it for the first time, what would you think?"

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
It's just a good old codger Burley that has stood the test of time. It contains a very light aromatic. A master blender once told me that it was vanilla. This tobacco is on the non-aro side for sure. The slight topping is miniscule and enhances the flavor of the crimp-cut Burley tobacco.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I'll have to give it a shot, I like the plain jane sound to it. I have a pouch of Half and Half and SWR regular right now, haven't tried them, but I bought them to try some OTC blends. Is it similar to one of those?

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
I'll have to give it a shot, I like the plain jane sound to it. I have a pouch of Half and Half and SWR regular right now, haven't tried them, but I bought them to try some OTC blends. Is it similar to one of those?

I find PA much nicer than those two. The tobacco is actually ribbon cut rather than shag... The flavor is much much milder... It's just plain tobacco vs. other OTC smelliiness.... Don't get me wrong... I like some SWR occasionally, but it doesn't quite live up to the Prince.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Prince Albert was the first son of Queen Victoria, and was named for his father, Albert of Saxony. When her consort died, the Queen decreed that no future King of England could use the name Albert. So, when Prince Albert (for whom the tobacco is named) became King, he became King Edward VII. (For whom the cigar is named.) During his reign, Prince Albert tobacco carried a small legend below his portrait, "Now King".
The story goes that The Prince was a great user of tobacco, while his mother Victoria hated the stuff.. After the Queen passed in 1901, the Prince entered the drawing room of the Palace and declared "Gentlemen, you may smoke."
Prince Albert is the great- grandfather of Queen Elizabeth II, and is a damned fine tobacco. I love codger burleys.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
My favorite,except on those days when CH is my favorite. I don't know that it is the same identical blend that it started out as but, regardless,I love it any way. I smoked PA as RYO back in the early-mid 60's with my buddies. We usually didn't have the money for ready mades. I didn't smoke it again until 3-4 years ago and didn't like it! Tried it again,not so bad,then better and better. I discovered that I am a burley smoker.

Another reason I like PA and CH and other Middleton products is that they are not as far as I can tell loaded up with PG etc. Not Like some Lane,Sutliffe, Altidis and others are. It will get really dry-really quick.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Had to WHAT?!
For some reason or another, there is a piercing people get called "The Prince Albert" that involves putting a piece of metal through part of your manhood... I shudder to even think about it, and now I'm going to have nightmares.
As for the tobacco, I find it a good "working around the yard" smoke. It's rather simple, burns easy and hardly if ever gives tongue burn. The trade-off being it's not overly flavorful and in my mind, is smoked for the sake of smoking. I find myself happier doing menial work if I have a pipe to smoke, and PA is the perfect smoke for me if I don't want to be fiddling with it as I work.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Holy crap, I tried the Half and Half, and that will probably be the only time I will. I really wanted to like it badly, from the moment I first saw it online to when I bought it. Definitely not my thing, reminded me too much of cigarettes. I don't know if I'm just too accustomed to 'higher quality' tobaccos or if I'm just not a burley guy, probably the latter. It makes me want to stock up on even more good English and Virginia blends anyway.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Well, I disagree with loseth. You will be surprised to know that I smoked exclusively H&H for 19 years before spreading my wings and taking on "blending" as a serious hobby with Craig Tarler of C&D. While I now no longer smoke H&H and only smoke the blends Craig and I created, I do hold H&H in high respect for their quality and consistency over the many decades. The problem I have with it now is as it compares to our blends that contain no PG (Propylene Glycol) as a preservative! I loved H&H but have not missed the "goopy" pipe.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

click on pic to enlarge:

Reactions: f4phantomdriver

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Prince Albert is just good old baccy. It doesn't try to be complicated or boast itself up. It is just a good baccy for the guy who is a heavy smoker and can smoke it all day long. Similar situation to CH.

Status
Not open for further replies.