PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
As I was just having a bowl on the steps in front of my building I had a most pleasant conversation when a man came walking by. After greeting me and asking for the time he asked to "borrow" a smoke. I said "No, I don't have any." To which he replied with a smug smile, then said "I was wondering if I could borrow a smoke."

"No, I don't have any."

"Well, what are you doing right now?", he chuckled.

"I'm smoking a pipe."

"Yeah! Could I have a toke?"

"No.", he asked why not so I told him I didn't share my pipe which earned me a mumbled phrase. I asked his pardon and he said "You're being cheap, I'll come back and see [read as a threat] you!" Then he left and I shook my head and re-lit. :crazy:

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Nicotine addiction is scary 8O threatening people because they won't let you suck on their pipe, that's very rude :(

If they came up with a pipe I think most of us would fill their bowl for them though :)

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Was he an American Indian? Maybe it was common practice in his culture, and you were not being culturally sensitive.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm more in line with Arthur's assessment of the situation. Buddy assumed you were getting high and wanted you to share. I've gotten that a few times. I got it a lot when I was in my 20s and most assumed that a 25 year old guy smoking a pipe was smoking dope.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
The difference is great, not only in smell but in how you'd smoke it (I'd like to see the guy smoking MJ from a pipe for an hour straight), so I find it hard to believe that one who has smoked either would think that a pipe smoker puffing away is smoking anything of that sort. If all he sees is the piper lighting up and without whiffing the scent then I guess it's possible though. I find it more likely to be a nicotine addict, but anything is possible in the land of the free, I guess.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Should have told him "This isn't pineapple express". Just watched that movie with James Franco and Seth Rogen, funny as hell. But that is pretty rude to try and steal a smoke from a tobacco pipe. Can't believe he couldn't tell the difference between tobacco and weed, unless you were smoking some perique, which I've had a few people note they thought it smelled like weed lol. That's the only tobacco blends though that I've ever had someone even ask if it was weed. I wouldn't mind lending some tobacco if the person had a pipe of their own or even if I had a spare unused corn cob laying around. I think a lot of us are so enthusiastic about some blends we practically throw a bowl's worth at people to get them turned on to it as well.

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
I agree Lordofthepiperings, I've been giving tobacco to my friends here in FL just to get them HOOKED! It's working. But to some idiot on the street with an attitude, "Tell him to kiss your ass!"

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Things of mine that other people can't touch: wife, kid, mom, guitar, motorcycle, guns, pipe and stereo. Anyone rude enough to push those boundaries needs an attitude adjustment.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
What audacity! I agree, if he had his own pipe or I was carrying a cob, or maybe a cheapo that didn't mean much, I'd let them fill up and smoke that. At least those I could sanitize later. But to ask if they could swap spit on the pipe in your mouth?! There's only one other person I'd allow that with and that's my wife.

longshot

Might Stick Around
May 16, 2011
My first thought is he assumed it was pot but you never know. Wouldn't really suprise me though, I've had people ask to take a hit on my pipe before, knowing exactly what it was, mostly out of curiousity. Back when you could smoke cigars in bars, it was pretty common for people to ask for a hit... Girls not so bad, when the guys did I would have to give them the stare.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
In reply to adam12, he was aboriginal but I don't think I was being culturally insensitive, it is not part of my culture to share pipes (and it is not a traditional pipe either) so in the same strain of argument I could say he was being culturally insensitive. It was obvious that I was smoking tobacco as well because, I was puffing on it not deeply inhaling while lighting. I don't mind someone playing my guitar, banjo, accordion, violin, drum, or even my harmonicas. If I was smoking my argeeli (hooka) it would be cultural practice to wipe off the hose and fold it according to custom before handing it to those with me, so according to my Arabic culture I always share that as well. But, I do not share my pipes or a fine cigar with anyone (I would give away a cigar but not a puff of mine)! If he had a pipe I would GLADLY give him some tobacco, even if he had a cigarette paper. But not a pipe I was in the middle of smoking! And uttering a threat is just rude...

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
I get this alot from curious strangers outside my place of work, but usually I tend to agree. But then, only if its one of my less expensive pipes that I'm not particularly bothered about. But sometimes, I just want to smoke. Interruptions get vastly annoying and people assume I'm just a rude...person and so on. It's kindof the same with my beard. Sometimes, the various forms of attention due to it are fun, and I don't mind. But alot of the time, some drunk nutter lunging over the bar at my face is not really wanted.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
You should have totally ignored him, got up and walked away. Thats the best thing you can do, people like that hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.