PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Has anyone had a Cameroon based pipe tobacco.

Got a hankering for something along those lines. Love cigars, but the prep of my pipes is much more more relaxing.

Cheers

Jeff

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jeff, no such animal. As you know Cameroon leaf is used almost exclusively for wrappers and is very expensive. If you have visions of smoking a Don Carlos in your pipe I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it ain't happening. Now there are many blends with cigar leaf, but it is not like smoking a cigar. If you want to try one, I would recommend GL Pease Robusto.
I would definitely get a tin of Escudo, to me that was the blend that opened my eyes to how great smoking a pipe can be. I was a cigar guy also and Escudo was the first blend that stood out as strong and flavorful and didn't make me miss my cigars. GL Pease Haddo's Delight was another blend that helped in that regard.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm not expert on tobacco but I've always found Cameroon wrappers to be very delicate. The leaf is much thinner and tears more easily than most other wrapper leafs. My theory is that pipe tobacco, being typically drier than cigars, Cameroon would burn fast and hot and probably not taste like you would expect to on a Hemingway or Don Carlos.
I could be totally wrong, just my personal obersvation. I don't usually keep many Cameroons around because I never enjoyed them. An ocassional Hemingway Signature is about the extent of what I smoke of that type of tobacco.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks gentlemen, I thought as much,Just love that leaf. I will take advice on tobacco suggestions.

Jeff

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Cameroon is by far my favorite wrapper. Haven't smoked the Puro Sol. Have to check that one out.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
the best Cameroon wrapped cigar is the Ashton Heritage Puro Sol
I love the Puro Sol! I smoke a lot of them. I would love to try a Cameroon pipe tobacco mixture. I make a pretty good cigar mixture I should expeiment with a couple of lower priced H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon mixed my usual PSBS. 8O

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My favorite Cameroon wrapped cigar is a Don Carlos Lancero. Because it is so thin the wrapper to filler ratio is high which makes the Cameroon flavor come through incredibly well.
The Puro is a tasty cigar, basically it is an Ashton Cabinet wrapped with Cameroon.

Status
Not open for further replies.