PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
A quick note to anyone planning to travel to Calgary, Canmore, Banff, etc, in Alberta Canada. There has been rainfall since about June 2, 2013 and it finally all came together yesterday as the Calgary area and points West began to flood as the creeks and rivers overflowed their banks. The city core of Calgary is flooding as the Elbow River over flows her banks and they are estimating up to 100 000 people are being evacuated from the city core. The army has been called out to assist and about 1200 troops are now in the area to assist.
Canmore is flooded out and HWY 1, AKA, The Trans Canada has been washed out in Canmore. Canmore is West of Calgary, just outside Banff National Park and pretty close to the town of Banff. Quite a few communities are under a "state of emergency" including the city that I live in, Red Deer, AB, although the risk here is relatively minor compared to others communities. The Dickson Dam, upstream, has to release water in order to make room for the water coming down from the Rocky Mountains just West of us and that is causing our river to overflow the banks. We have only had 6 houses near our river evacuated as a precaution.
As I smoke my pipe tonight, knowing that my family is safe, my thoughts will be with others in the affected communities South and West of myself. I suspect that some fellow pipe smokers will be among them.
I am adding some links now, if you wish to look and hopefully add some pics and video when I get off work tonight.
Calgary flooding: Calgary mayor says situation stable — for now
Naheed Nenshi says just over two dozen neighbourhoods have been evacuated and most of the estimated 75,000 displaced people are staying with family and friends. There are about 1,500 people in evacuation centres.
CALGARY—Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi says the flooding situation in his city is under control as much as it can be — for now.
Nenshi says the Elbow River, one of two rivers that flow through the southern Alberta city, has peaked.
And if things don't change, officials expect that the flow on the Bow River — which, in his words, looks like an ocean right now — will remain steady for the next 12 hours.
He says just over two dozen neighbourhoods have been evacuated and most of the estimated 75,000 displaced people are staying with family and friends.
There are about 1,500 people in evacuation centres.
Canmore - Cougar Creek
Calgary & South West Alberta Floodingnull
Calgary Flood News

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Yes, I believe at least one of our forum members resides in the city core. Hopefully not in an evacuation area.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Wow - 100k to be evacuated? That is bad. Thoughts and prayers to the poor people in that area.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
I live in by High River, the entire town was evacuated. Our place is on a hill but this video I shot of our neighbors pasture. Hmmm....apparently this forum attacks links to youtube. there are tons of videos. search "High River flood"

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I heard about this on the news last night.

Mother nature can be a real witch when she has a mind to.

My thoughts and prayers are with those affected.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
You're right Lawrence. I'm a very short horse ride from the river that flooded in High River causing the most damage. It's an indescribable feeling sitting on my horse surveying the devastation with the realization that people lost their lives. The vet I took my horse to last week, the store I bought groceries at...all under water. 4 days later the military is still pulling people from houses. This will take months to clean up. I'm operating an online equine fundraiser to support our helicopter medevac rescue operation. Support is awesome, but only time will dictate and reveal the true extent of whats happened. Internet and cell phone service are sporadic. Landlines are non-existant. Power and gas have been shut off to the town.

It's a real eye opener, because this sort of thing does not happen here.

Then again, 30 years ago, the closest tornado was 1500 miles away. Now there are tornado warnings every several weeks here. Time to stock up on pipe tobacco and head to high ground...mountains here I come!

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
I'm in Calgary. Luckily on high enough ground that we were not affected. People have really come together to help their neighbours out with accommodation and help with the clean up. Touching to see. Hope High River gets sorted out soon, they definitely received the worst of it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome to the forums Rockford. Glad to hear you're high and dry. Good vibes, and best wishes to you, yours, and your friends who have been impacted by this event.
-- Pat

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I live in Calgary, not the downtown core, but by the river. Fortunately I did not flood, but just got power back last night.
The river finally started to recede last night. It is still very high / dangerous, but no longer causing any damage. It will be a long while before we get everything cleaned up.
It was a devastating weekend, but inspiring how everyone banned together to get through all the evacuations.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey northernneil, thanks for the first-hand account. I work for a Canadian coffee/cafe company and a number of our cafes in the core remained closed today. We're working hard to get all of 'em resupplied and reopened asap. Congratulations for being part of a strong community who works well together when the stuff hits the fan.
On the positive side, quite a few pipe smokers from the Calgary/S. Alberta area have come out of the woodwork here over the last week. You guys have a nascent pipe club forming!
-- Pat

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
That is a good point Pruss... Might be time to see just how many people are from Calgary / Southern Alberta and how many would be interested in forming a pipe club. It would be great to have some physical people to share this great hobby with :lol:

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Actually, I am looking at forming an Alberta pipe club, and will be making an Alberta roll call for Alberta pipe smokers to gauge the intrest level as it seems that there is not a club for Alberta. Depending on where the interest is, it might be more local than provincially.
The Alberta is putting 1 billion dollars for to assist during these difficult times. Word it the Feds will be putting some money in the pot as well, not sure how much.
Heard that the Calgary Stampede is still on, believe it starts in just under 2 weeks. They are hard at rebuilding the grounds and I saw on the news they were already bringing in dirt for the chuckwagon races. The parade route will most likely be altered due to flooding.
Word is that the Calgary Saddledome, where the Calgary Flames play home games, was under water to the 15th row of seats. The Saddledome is located at the Stampede grounds.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It was a devastating weekend, but inspiring how everyone banned together to get through all the evacuations.
Many thoughts and prayers to you folks. Our entire area was flooded 2 years ago this August (my wife and I are still rebuilding).
Takes a long time to recover. Everyone came together in a major way and if not for all of the amazing volunteers that flocked to our town and surrounding towns, we might never have recovered.
This was the type of devastation that was a common sight throughout VT:
Flood%2BVT%2BCurrent.jpg

This photo (below) is actually of our backyard, taken during the cleanup:
Volunteer-Chain-Clean-Up-Mad-River-640x360.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.