PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA

I just purchased this Vintage Estate Calabash. I have some questions.

1) It has no markings and was wondering if anyone knew how to determine the age or the maker?

2) I read that this is the kind of pipe you don’t want to be your heavy hitter, smoke it all the time, is this true?

3) Any way to clean and shine the outside of the gourd?

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I don't see your pipe, but in my experience gourd calabash pipes smoke drier and cooler than briar, so one can smoke it much more often without getting a sour smoke. Its a great way to tame blends that bite or smoke hot.
Any good wax will shine the gourd.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
still working on posting the pic correctly.
Smoothest pipe I own. Now that I know I can smoke it regularly, I will.
Be careful the price gets up there on the bidding sites. I got lucky I got mine for $60 plus shipping. Even though many dont have any markings they can get up there.
Here is the site I got mine from-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190624719643?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648
the seller had it over priced for starting bid. i sent a message with an offer and they wanted to take the offer. mind you its risky, because the transaction was not through ebay. but it paid off in my case.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
That looks like it might be a Pioneer, I have its twin brother. I bought mine in the late '70s. I think I paid less than $50 for it.
If it is a Pioneer, it will have a pressed block bowl. It won't color like a true meer, but the gourd will darken over time. The one pictured doesn't looked smoked all that much.
I would wager you'll come to love it. They aren't the most convenient pipe ever invented and they do need to have some care with the bowl, but they are sexy cool and smoke like nothing else. It will be a great pipe to try out new blends in, too.
Re: Picture
Host the image on a seperate site and link to it from your post or upload the picture to your album here.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
The bowl appears to be meerschaum. The underside is a brownish color around the hole. The inside of the gourd is completely black from smoke. All in all it was pretty clean. I always get compliments at work when I am on the smoke deck at break with it. Its funny how I have to correct several people when they ask if its a sherlock holms pipe. I advise he would never have smoked a pipe like this as you must hold it the entire time you smoke it.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I am about to clean inside the goard because there is a thick layer of tar I guess. What would be the best way to remove this with out damaging the goard itself?

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Use a high proof alcohol and rinse the inside of the gourd, then brush with a bristle cleaner.

Rinse and repeat until satisfied.

Avoid pouring anything over the cork gasket so the glue won't be loosened.

Let the gourd dry completely and reassemble.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Buy Clarinet cork grease from a music store ($4 for a life-time tube) or borrow a bit from your next door neighbour's band kid. Put a light layer on the cork and do NOT work it in. Do your cleaning thing, then work in the remaining grease, or add a bit more. It will stop the squeaking when you put the meerschaum in and out, and help to stay in place without drying and getting loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.