PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
I have been thinking of making the jump from Cable TV to Sling or Hulu. I already have Netflix's. I need your advice, I don't know anything about my options on some of the new Subscription TV companies. I would like to hear from people who made the jump from cable to Hulu or Sling ie. To get their opinion on the pros and cons.
I'm tired of paying 140.00 a month for cable tv. (we'll actually 69.99 a month, before taxes).
Thanks for your help!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm not a cord cutter; love sports too much for one, and like UHD a lot, as well as relaxing before a good sized monitor.
What's your internet speed?
I'm tired of paying 140.00 a month for cable tv. (we'll actually 69.99 a month, before taxes).
I am perplexed by this. Could you please elaborate?

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Hulu is pretty good, though I don't get it. I subscribe to Acorn.tv and BritBox, both showing my favorite Brit stuff.

I have had Sling and DTV now. I think the latter is better DTV Now has more channels though it costs 35/month. It's comparable to your cable, but you can get it over the Net, on Roku, Firestick, and most Network things like TV's and DVD players.
When I found out how good local tv has gotten I have no problem cutting the cord. Instead of 2-13 channels, you get 2, 2.2, 4, 4.2 etc. PBS has four channels as opposed to the one we had all these years. These extra channels, 2.2, 4.2, etc have a lot of retro tv you don't see on even TV Land. You can see Perry Mason, Joey Bishop show, 12 O'clock high, and many movies. I have one of those converter boxes the govt made you get to get local TV. Remember cable companies telling you you didn't need it? That's cause they wanted you to only see their feed. For 30$ I got the box and it has a USB port so you can record Broadcast TV to your heart's delight.
If you must have an online service like Hulu, Sling, or Direct TV now, the last one is totally superior.

David

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
I was looking at sling, and then just get internet through the phone company?

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Sling has a lot of issues with the screen going from full to showing you the menu all the time, blocking a third of the image. It's totally bad on a puter.
Sling does not have all the news channels direct tv now does. Both of these are set it up online, no box needed. Direct TV Now is ten bucks more, but the difference in channels is day and night

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I ditched cable TV long ago. Between broadcast TV, Netflix, library acquired Blu-rays and streaming stuff from my PC we have plenty to watch.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I, too, ditched Cable. If Cable would let me custom pick my content, they'd still have me. But I'm not big into sports-ball, I cannot stand the various shopping channels I was forced to deal with--so much crap I didn't want even at the lowest tiers. And the handful of programming I did want was always rolled in with the expensive bundles. So I gave up and cut the cord.
I can push a lot of content from my computer to the TV for free. I do also subscribe to Acorn TV (British/Australian content), have Amazon Prime & Netflix, both of which have tons of current & old TV shows, movies, etc. And both of those platforms are making some pretty interesting original content. Had Hulu and enjoyed it, but canceled--I don't watch a lot of stuff & felt I wasn't getting my $$ worth.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I was getting internet from CenturyLink for years. They were bundling my phone service with a DSL. Not fast!

Finally, I discovered an option from Comcast that allowed me to buy ONLY internet at much better pricing than I had been paying so, I dumped my landline/ & DSL and have only a cell phone and the internet. ( my speeds increased exponentially!)

A Mohu antenna catches enough local tv to satisfy and I do use Prime and Netflix.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Me and the wife got rid of our satellite, and only use free tv, hulu, Netflix, and PlayStation vue, and will never look back. Those 3 cover more shows, movies, and stations, for a third of the price of what we payed for satellite.

Status
Not open for further replies.