PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's something about this series that just creeps me out. The tin art for Consolation and Repose looks like an escapee from a Victorian funeral while Reverie and Comfort have the sort of artwork one might see on circa 1970's "feminine health" products. The sales pitch doesn't help. Is this a stealth series aimed at women pipers? Has anyone smoked these?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
They do have a unique character -- atypical of the run of the mill tin art.

serenity-tins-600x564.jpg

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
There's something about this series that just creeps me out. The tin art for Consolation and Repose looks like an escapee from a Victorian funeral while Reverie and Comfort have the sort of artwork one might see on circa 1970's "feminine health" products. The sales pitch doesn't help. Is this a stealth series aimed at women pipers? Has anyone smoked these?
The Serenity Series first came out ages ago (I can't remember; 2004 maybe?) and all are blends created by William Serad, with assistance from Craig Tarler.
The revamped artwork was done by Calvin Miller, head of marketing for Laudisi (parent company to C&D and Smokingpipes.com etc), with a nod to the late 19th century Arts and Crafts Movement (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_movement). Think William Morris.
We definitely weren't shooting for creepy when we updated the tin art for these...perhaps seeing the whole label instead of just a front shot makes this more obvious.

Here's Comfort:

http://assets.smokingpipes.com/images/CD_Tin_Art/RNON-3122.pdf

And Consolation:

http://assets.smokingpipes.com/images/CD_Tin_Art/RNON-3113.pdf
Anyway, not sure if any of that makes it less creepy, but thought it might be of interest.
As a side note, Bridge Mixture isn't part of the Serenity series.
Sykes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I saw the serenity series advertised, I was too busy figuring out how I thought the constituent tobaccos would blend to think about the language, but now that sablebrush mentions it, there is something resonant of the funeral chapel in the names of the blends, even Bridge Mixture, and certainly Solace and Comfort. Would you like to view the aged blend? Sign the guest book?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Man, thinking about it in funeral terms, even the names of the blends sound like words in a eulogy.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Spot on Sablebrush. I hate C&D tin art so much it's almost as bad as Mac Baren

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Generally, I enjoy C&D blends. I think they are the master burley blenders right now. I like Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Dark Burley, Big'n'Burley. Riverboat Gambler is not a big seller, but I have a tin I've aged that I'm thinking will be quite good; we shall see. When someone tries one of the Serenity Series blends, I'd like to hear about it. The macabre tone of the names of the blends probably don't matter.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo wo
I'm particularly fond of an original Serenity, Longevity. It is a huge Lat, using Syrian. Then after the fire, C&D created Longevity II, using Cyprian. I have significant stocks of both, so I'm happy. I have puffed most of the other Serenity series, and find them whimsical. Wm. Serad came to last Thursday's Morley's and we chatted about these reissues. He was bemused by C&D's decision to reintroduce these blends. I'm guessing that since they pre-date the FDA's 2007 Deeming date that they are worth trying to re-establish a market for.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.