PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
A general, or at least oft repeated, rule of thumb is that latakia-forward blends aren’t prime candidates for long term aging. Generally true or not, IME Pirate Kake benefits enormously from moderate aging.
A blend of burleys, orientals and a whopping 75% latakia, Pirate Kake is full, smooth and creamy when young. After just shy of 4 years in the cellar the blend becomes very sweet, round, and displays a number of notes not originally apparent. Smoked in the wide bowl of a Savinelli 320 obvious notes of vanilla, cypress and faint nutmeg present themselves. On the retrohale hints of maraschino cherry appear with nary a tingle to the nose. The creamy character of the lat is more pronounced than when fresh and really wraps everything together.
The pipes I’ve smoked this tin in are meers and the 320, none of which have ever had an aromatic in them so the flavors are true to the Pirate Kake. Wider bowls did the best and letting the tin breathe a couple of days after popping it opened up the flavors.
At 4 years Pirate Kake treads in the realm of dessert blends. Whether further aging would be beneficial

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have some from 2008 that has mellowed nicely. I like using it as a condiment for other blends sometimes.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I never considered using Pirate Kake as a condiment but I can see it working. It doesn’t need any more sweetness or body. Thinning it with some bright Virginia would probably be interesting.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I smoked some 5 year old Balkan Sobranie with crystals on it last week. I can't say it was less latakia tasting but more smooth as a whole than a new tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.