PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
One day I was browsing through C&Ds massive catalog on a SmokingPipes and came across Manhattan Afternoon. The Wessex and Fribourg & Treyer blends were post on SP so I decided to add in a tin of Manhattan Afternoon to that order to check it out.

Really like the tin artwork. Classy vintage feel to it.

To the blend, it’s a bright Virginia Flake. I’ve kind of broken up most of them a bit, but when I got the tin they were much more intact flakes.

The moisture level was spot on right out of the tin. Didn’t need any drying time. Also, didn’t smoke wet at all.

This tin is a year old already, so the flavors may be a bit different than a fresh tin. It does have a honey topping to it, but it’s not overpowering. The honey is a nice accent flavor to the grassy hay and citrus notes of this bright Virginia Flake. To me it makes the blend a tad sweeter in a natural sweetness way.

The burn is slow and cool. Not too many relights required as long as you tend to your tamping.

If you’re looking for something a tad sweeter than Orlik Golden Slice this would be a great blend to try.

Big ups to C&D on another great sleeper blend!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I associate C&D most with their innovative burley blends, but it is good to know they can also do some magic with Virginias. Definitely something I'd try down the road.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Funny you post this today, I was flip-flopping between opening this or a tin of C&D Bayou Morning Flake just a few hours ago ? Ended up cracking the 2014 BMF instead, but it was a bit too moist - hence the bowl of almost crispy Aperitif I’m smoking currently - so it’s gonna dry for a bit first. Had I read your post first, pretty sure it would have made MA the winner. So I guess it will take the “on deck” spot. Thanks for the pics - tantalizing!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Many of C&D’s Virginias are unknown ground to me. Manhattan Afternoon sounds great. I’m enjoying the 3 y/o tin of Bijou I opened recently (kinda forgot I even had it). I think Interlude will be my next try; it sounds like the red Va version of MA. I was very impressed with the use of honey in Bijou, so these two sound very intriguing to me

Status
Not open for further replies.