PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Just listed a few tins of Carolina Red Flake on my website. One per customer.
Rich

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Yea. This amount just sells out too fast . Kind of a shame. Hopefully it last long enough that I can snag a time or two this time.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
If I can I'm gonna jump on it. I know CD had a few probs a while back, but I'm a real fan thanks to Duane et al. Sounds like a winner I want to get a piece of!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a few bowls of the 2016 release before the news got out about the mold contamination and I sent it all back. It was pretty good, but I liked McCrainie's better. As I still have a goodly amount of McCrainie's as well as various Cheers and the 40th, I'm good to go. So have fun!

Jun 27, 2016
It says on the side of the tin that 8000 are being made, anyone interested will probably have a moment to consider.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Was it even on the sp.com site already this year? Guessing they'll put it back up. Hopefully someone tips us off here quickly

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
On a recent Pipes Magazine Radio show episode, Sykes Wilford said a batch would be available soon. He also confessed to having had a small run that was tinned up and made available only to staff. He added that all the required tobacco taxes were paid on those tins.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Ive always suspected that employee first pick is why Penzance and Stonehaven are almost impossible to get online. In part. Since they can't just make their own time run for them

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Ive always suspected that employee first pick is why Penzance and Stonehaven are almost impossible to get online. In part. Since they can't just make their own time run for them
I'll speak for Smokingpipes/Laudisi/C&D and no one else, but that is just not true for us. Customer gets first crack at everything.
The CRF limited run for staff I mentioned on the radio show was from an overrun we made for another market. They ordered 800 shortly after the last run for the US market and C&D made a little more than 900. Inputs to outputs is a bit of a guessing game because it varies based on moisture in the leaf at the beginning, plus how much we lose in cutting and such, so it's not unusual for us to make extra to ensure we have enough to fill an order. This was just an extreme example of that, with drier inputs and low loss rates in pressing and cutting, on a limited edition product. We tinned the extra tobacco (because there's nothing else to be done with it) and we had them sitting around semi-forgotten, unlabeled. It wasn't enough to sell (seriously: 120 tins (or whatever it was; I forget exactly) would just irritate everyone) so we labeled it for sale (per federal law), paid excise taxes on it (again, pesky federal law), and sold it to those employees who wanted it. There are about 115 employees of the company, of which about 80 work at one of the three buildings in or near Longs, SC where C&D is located, so there were plenty of takers (me included, since the last run sold out so quickly that I didn't get any.
So, back to my first statement about not how we do things on rare tobaccos, I finally got CRF by accident because we made too many for an overseas market because there was none in my cellar because we sold out of the product in such a way that employees were ineligible to purchase.
On rare tobacco more generally, the problem is as simple as it seems: there are way more buyers than there is tobacco. No conspiracy. No mystery. Occasionally a Laudisi employee will get a tin of something hard to get, but it comes after customers are offered and notified, usually as a result of getting a return or a cancellation for a tin that would be silly to try to relist to sell.
Carolina Red Flake will be on Smokingpipes--and other websites and in stores--on November 14th. The 8,000 tin number is global (with a little less than 6,000 for the US), but it's still by far the biggest run we've done of a limited edition. So there's a good bit to go around. It'll probably sell out quickly, though. It was the biggest number we could reasonably manage for a specialty product like this, not the number we think could sell.
And I sort of hope it does sell quickly. It's just fun being at the office on days when that happens.
Sykes

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Great info, Sykes. Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming release.

Status
Not open for further replies.