PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
I read about cellering and buying tobacco in bulk. I am not there yet but when I do decide to stock up on some blends I like, where is a good (less bad?) place for europeans to buy larger quantities of tobacco?

Here in Sweden a 50g tin is around 27 USD and I can't find any larger than 100g (42 USD).

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
My local vendor knows about water pipe tobacco but does not know what an english blend or Virginia is.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Unfortunately it is illegal to commercially ship tobacco products from one EU country to another EU country. That is why one rarely finds a tobacco shop that will ship tobacco across EU borders.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Thanks! Yes, I have tried buying both pipes and tobacco from Germany but they won't ship tobacco.

Sweden has an extra high tax on tobacco. My secret plan though is that I have a boat.

I am doing a complete refit but in two years time she will be in the water and then I will revive the East India trade, or at least Hansestadt Lübeck! Fill the hold with exotic blends and stealthily sail past customs in the dark of night.

Reactions: artvandelay007

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I live in the Netherlands and i do order tobacco from Germany. There is only one place where i know i can order tobacco. But just ask all the tobacconist if they do ship inside the EU

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Fill the hold with exotic blends and stealthily sail past customs in the dark of night.
Yarr, tis a good plan matey. I'll always support the pipe tobacco pirate. A real modern day Störtebeker!
Seems like the personal message feature of this forum may be in order between husky and brendan18.
Good luck!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Seldom, You Hit the nail on the head, Correct answer, my long-time experience and believe is that trades between the EU countries do not cause significant problems, but as for now I'm better off and keep my mouth shut,

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe Peter Stokkebye is a Danish tobacco blender, and they have a fairly long menu of bulk blends, so I assume it is marketed in Europe outside Denmark. You might see if you can get an address, email or otherwise, to ask them. Same with other European bulk blenders.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...Orlik and Mac Baren are in Denmark too, so there must be a European market in bulk pipe tobacco it would seem. Other brands more and lesser known.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Husky. $27 for 50 grams sounds a lot but it could be worse. Here in Nanny State Australia 50 grams costs $85+. By the end of the year it will be $100.
Mso489 - that's a really good point. Orlik, Peter Stokkebye and MacBaren blends are some of my favourites.
Husky, both Peter Stokkebye and MacBaren blends are sold in bulk. It's the quickest and most economical way to build a decent stash. Orlik Golden Sliced is sold in 100g tins at a reasonable price. It's so good that it's one of the few tins that I'll buy [Only due to economical considerations]

Before the law changed here in Oz, prohibiting the import of tobacco, I mainly concentrated on ordering one pound at a time.

Now I'm smoking decent tobacco that's unavailable here and have a range of choice.
Hope you find a way to build yourself a decent stockpile also.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Love those 1.5 pound boxes of PS Luxury Flake...... Beautiful presentation. It's enjoyable just to look at them.

MrTom

Lifer
Oct 20, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
I regularly get tobacco from Germany, much cheaper than the UK, I have used several shops & I now regularly use
https://www.pfeifendepot.de/ Gerd Jansen's uses PayPal (after Brexit I don't know whether we will have to pay excessive Customs fines). We pay exorbitant customs from the USA to the UK, even on gifted tobacco, they seem to blacklist you on the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.