PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

finger

Lurker
Apr 28, 2013
Southampton, uk
Now. I've gotten into pipe smoking through a friend, who is getting married in a couple of months. He has done the usual wedding present list with Debenhams, but I think I know him well enough to know none of that stuff would be special. Of course the day will be special, but I want my gift to be meaningful. Scene set? I bought a meerschaum 1892 amber stem, silver collared bent pipe for him. Does this show true love, like friendship love? This is what I'm hoping! Will he be able to smoke it, or is it the kind of thing you look at and marvel?

Total novice

George

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a lovely present for someone who you appreciate and enjoy. Well done.
-- Pat
PS - I'd smoke that bad boy. Gotta get that patina started sometime!

gisboro

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I think what you have done will mean a ton more than something from Debenhams, that his wife to be more than likely tagged in the list anyway.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I just bought my friend a new person for his 40th bday and he couldn't put it down! I think it will mean a ton to him. By the way that's a beautiful pipe.

finger

Lurker
Apr 28, 2013
Southampton, uk
You actually made me laugh out loud. I hate LOL, that was a real belly laugh. I'm still thanking every pipegod there is, seems like the right one came along. Talking about the pipe. Not the girl!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Finger, you're a great friend, and it's a magnificent pipe, and I'm sure your friend will love it and smoke it, of course.

And it will decorate his home. May I make a suggestion? I would get an additional gift for the kitchen or dining room.

It doesn't have to be expensive, just useful and sturdy, something the couple will tend to use on a regular basis. Ask

a female relative if you aren't sure what that should be. Weddings are the joining of a couple, and it is as important or

more important to gain the approval and support of the wedding guests as it is for the couple to commit to each other,

which they've already done privately. So it's important that you show acceptance and caring for the bride as well as the

groom, and a household item would acknowledge that point. If it were his birthday, the pipe for the friend is great, but

wedding gifts should acknowledge the bride too.

finger

Lurker
Apr 28, 2013
Southampton, uk
Something that I was told by an old tobacconist, who's been doing this for years, was that you shouldn't buy a pipe for someone else, because they're such personal items, it's like trying to second guess a soulmate match. I went in there with the intention of spending £80 on a pipe, and he talked me out of it. What do you think? is there wisdom in those words?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
finger:
Pipes are personal objects, but I've bought pipes for friends and they greatly appreciated them. (And smoked them!) If you know your friend's taste well enough, you'll know whether he/she prefers a straight or a bent, the size they tend to like, if they favor any particular finishes. I tend to go for brands they don't already have in their collection, but that's just so the pipe stands out as something different and, hopefully, special. But if your friend loves a particular brand, I can't see why they wouldn't love getting one from you.
I would say the tobacconist erred in his advice. But maybe he didn't think you knew enough about what your friend would like and thought it would be better to spend the money elsewhere than risk getting something that wouldn't be appreciated.
Bob

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Very nice of you.
My wife and kids have bought me 2 pipes this past year. Nothing that I would never pick out for myself.....or smoke that often, BUT I keep them in the first two seats of my pipe rack even though I need the space for my favored pipes.
Sometimes a pipe is something more then just something to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.