PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just noticed that the Big Ben churchwarden Lectura is offered by PC at about $137. A few years ago, I bought it from them for around $40, so there is occasionally a nice break on sale prices, for me especially at PC, and sometimes at SP. Do you notice the prices on any of your purchases have soared since you "invested"?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I don't really look at pipes as an investment so much as an "I could probably get some money for this if the shit really hit the fan" item. The plan is to keep making money and keep smoking my pipes.

But no, I haven't been in the game long enough to notice any dramatic prince increases. Unless you count Penzance bulk doubling in price at my (only) B&M this week.

Reactions: bnichols23
I don't really look at pipes as an investment so much as an "I could probably get some money for this if the shit really hit the fan" item. The plan is to keep making money and keep smoking my pipes.

But no, I haven't been in the game long enough to notice any dramatic prince increases. Unless you count Penzance bulk doubling in price at my (only) B&M this week.

HEY PIPER! Let me know if you need me to help you find some Penzance, okay? LOL! rotf

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I may open a tin of quiet nights and try that first. I have been nursing a tin of pirate cake for quite some time. I like the FM or skiff mixture better and Balkan Sobranie best so far. So I am really not even sure about the Penzance other then the mysticality of it's unicorn elusivity.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I look at pipes first and foremost as tools. They are like my favorite coffee mug. I don't buy them with an eye to resale later. If I did, I probably would not smoke them. I would wrap them in bubble wrap and keep them in my safe. I buy pipes that smoke good, fit my hand well and catch my eye. If my kids get to make a buck after I'm dust, good for them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In fairness to Tom, he put the word in quotes. Investing in pipes or tobacco is a bit more secure than "investing" in a pair of tickets for a play off game, but I bet not more than a few dozen people in the world have made money by long term investing in pipes.

Reactions: bnichols23

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I feel pretty much the same as trouttimes, but I'll admit to getting a little rush from getting a few tins of tobacco for a pipe that I paid 10 bucks for. I assume that at least some of the estate pipe dealers aren't in it just for the love of pipes.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I have a Drucquer-St.Croix pipe, purchased on sale in around 1988, for $60. Donno what that'd be in real dollars -- at least $120. I'm told there is a cult for those limited run air dried pipes, so it might be worth a bit. But no way am I selling it, as it is among my very best smokers.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I look at pipes first and foremost as tools. They are like my favorite coffee mug. I don't buy them with an eye to resale later. If I did, I probably would not smoke them. I would wrap them in bubble wrap and keep them in my safe. I buy pipes that smoke good, fit my hand well and catch my eye. If my kids get to make a buck after I'm dust, good for them.

What the crazy Coloradan says. [sic, very]

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.