PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’m not a “Burley guy” as many blends are a bit rough on the throat IME. That being said there are so many variations in leaf and processing that there are wonderful blends out there if you’re willing to do some exploring. Watch City has some excellent Burley blends like Slices and Deluxe Crumb. C&D Pegasus is great, especially with a few years on it. P&C Classic Burley Kake is another winner. Carter Hall is also enjoyable.
So many blends, so little time.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I have to wholeheartedly agree with that Watch City recommendation and a shout out to Cortez for mentioning it to someone else in another thread (I was eavesdropping). That Deluxe Crumb Cut is pretty tasty - among others.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I generally like Burley and always have some Carter Hall on hand. Although, having said that, I find C&D burleys rather harsh on my throat. I tried to love Pegasus, but my love was unrequited. Conversely, Solani Aged Burley Flake hits all the characteristics of what a high quality burley advertises and is not a bit harsh. I still find myself more attracted to virginias and VaPers, though. To me, virginias have a more varied and interesting flavor profile that keeps me coming back.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I'm another that's prone to finding burley blends prone to being a little harsh on my throat, sometimes I don't feel it when I'm smoking the blend but I end up with a sore throat later. Mostly it's not an issue as I'm not the biggest fan of burley blends so I tend to avoid them but I loved McQuiad plug flavor but it was like smoking sandpaper :crying:

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
If you haven’t already, try some Old Joe Krantz. To me, it’s like a codger blend with finer leaf. Pack, light, and go. No fuss.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well,to be honest if there wasn't burley blends out there, I'd be in deep water'Ok sometimes these regular medium forte' burleys may be a bit harsh on the throat,but so what?At least the do not bite.If there weren't Burley forward blend available ,would I have been keeping on smoking pipes?Thats a question to ponder,at least there are some pretty descent Va-Kentuckies and some VaBurs that may satisfy my needs.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Unfortunately, in general, I don't like the taste of most burley blends, especially C&D Burley blends. That's a shame because I smoked 6 to 8 bowls per day. Not the end of the world for me as I like the sweet flavors of VA, VaPer and English blends. Who knows, perhaps my tastes will change or evolve to where I come to enjoy the burley blends.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I have a tub of Carter Hall on hand at all times. Not one has ever dried out on me. I can and do smoke only CH all day many days. I have many treasures in many jars. But CH is a steady friend. I fear to lose some blends, we just lost some. But I actually believe in my lifetime anyway Carter Hall will be here. PA, OJK, again pretty damn good. Something about those blends, Coger blends, that satisfy all day long. YMMV.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Love Burley. Top three right now are Mac Baren HH Burley Flake, H&H Chatham Manor, and Carter Hall. In that order.

franbo

Lurker
Dec 21, 2018
Peretti in Boston has an entire selection of burley, old school type tobacco. My favorite is Cuban Blend for straight burley type. Fairly complex but sweet enough too. Pease Barbary Coast is an interesting choice or you might try Haddo’s Delight for a Va/Per/Burley treat. As well or a Virginia / Burley flake like Peterson University Flake may bridge you to burley. I generally prefer burley in the hotter months.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm enjoying some C&D Burley Flake #3 right now. I, too, have been hitting the OJK a lot lately.
But, the perique overshadows the burley in that one, for me. I still enjoy it. I just think of perique before burley when I do.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.