Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I wonder if being a former cigarette smoker influenced my rapid and immediate preference for Burley?
I have been smoking a pipe for 6-7 years now and I do find it interesting how what I like, what I want and what I can tolerate changes.
At first, I was all about Latakia blends. They tasted like velvety milkshakes of Turkish delight. I wanted to stuff my pillow with it. Now, I suddenly have this distinct aversion to Latakia blends.
Oddly, I developed this aversion to Latakia at the same time I developed a food aversion to seafood.
I am sure I will like Lobster and Blackhouse again... soon enough... and it may be that ketchupy Virginia that I love so much right now that I won't like later.
I hate to admit it, but it's the truth. I love nicotine. Even though I quit cigarettes and I quit vaping... I am still mightily addicted to nicotine. Pipes have put me more in control of the addiction. I don't feel as "out of control" as I was for the many years I smoked cigarettes.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I once would have said I didn't like it, that it was harsh and I didn't like the taste. But I fell in a tin of Dark Fired - so I guess I was in with the Burley crowd then.
But Gawith Hoggarth really pulled me on board. I love it - I even said once here that I hated G&H and then I suddenly had 18 blends and loved it.
I'm still no 5 brothers smoker. And believe it or not, I've never tried an OTC unless Condor counts as a Brit OTC.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
the smoke almost seemed to carry a greasy/oily characteristic to it that I didn't like
This is what burley is like for me. I have tried to enjoy it, but after half a bowl I get a very unpleasant greasy sensation that just does not suit me. Also, for whatever reason, burley heavy blends tend to mute my ability to fully taste for a few days. This primarily happens if I smoke more than a couple of bowls in a burley heavy blend in a day. Go figure.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Solani ABF & Silver Flake, GL Pease JKP & TP, HU Nashville County, Mac Baren ODF & BK, C&D BF#3 & BigNBurley & OJK, John Patton's Storm Front, Peterson IF, Tabak Manil Semois --- These are the main tobaccos I smoke and they all contain burley. I think my favourite variant is the dark fired burley... so rich, deep and soothing.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Not sure to what extent, but virginia in some combinations give me heart burn. I do like the taste of burley, but I need to be careful for those particular blends that also contain virginias. It seems that not all virginias will do that to me, nor am I sure that virginia alone does it to my stomach - it might be a particular combination, which I have not discovered yet. I am still experimenting ... and meanwhile I have removed Va/Burs or english blends that upset my stomach. Better safe than sorry I guess ...

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I can't smoke DFK. Makes me sick. But I loved Edgeworth, Burley London Blend, and still love Solani Aged Burley Flake. Feels like some TAD coming on.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Any burley suggestions for a burley noob?
I tried MacBaren ODF and found it bland(as well as most Va's) so I haven't really experimented with other burley forward blends.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Interesting fitzy that you found ODF bland, (which I don't), while I find FVF bland, though less bland than most other straight Virginia smokes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Rather fond of Burleys, especially mixed with about 30% or so Virginias. The flavors seem made for each other.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I'm not burley fan. It makes my mouth hurt, and swells the roof of my mouth. Condimental levels i can take, but not burley based tobaccos. For me I like heavier Latakia mixes and I like Perique a lot too.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Smoking Wessex burley flakes right now, yum. I love burley's but like someone else said I don't smoke two bowls of it like va's. Usually just a few times a week.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My hankering for each varietal changes from time to time, bowl to bowl, day to day.

I suppose that my palate changes some, too.

I usually smoke a combination in one form or another, which will have burley, VA, and perique.

I buy mostly bulk, in bags, from C&D and D&R and some mixers from McClelland's.

I had trouble with Virginia's for a long time. Instant mouth burn?

Pace with a VA is of paramount importance.

Combinations typically require less 'attention' to that particular detail.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Why not burley? Burley is the bore of the family. It lacks the subtlety and variability found in most other leaves. It is so alkaline that it can be caustic to some folks. Also it tends to leave a lingering odor of "old man fart" on ones clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.