PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
In London I had something called a Chicken Italiano sandwich at a McDonalds. It made no sense. I wouldn't have even bothered with McD's, but simply had to try that.

wannafly34

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2011
@LOTP - I NEVER miss In-N-Out when I'm in Vegas...double double animal style. But on topic, in NC you used to be able to get the Carolina Classic which was a burger with slaw on it. And at McD's in RI you used to be able to get a McLobster Roll...and it was pretty good!

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
For straight up "fast food", here in Tejas, Whataburger is tops. Wendy's a close second. This goes for burgers only, as fries fall second to burger quality.
There are quite a few locally owned burger joints if you don't mind sitting and waiting that are quite good.
We enjoyed the In and Out's when we were in San Diego, BTW.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Portascat, where in Tejas are you? I'm in Allen, north of Dallas and we have Whataburger, In-n-Out burger, JC's and Five Guys. All within a 5 mile radius pretty much. There's even a decent place called Hank's that has motorcycle parking! We are Hamburger Shangri-la! We should get our scooters and do a "Burger til we Die" tour.
5 Guys has some of the best @#$! Fries I've ever had.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I tell you what, I like "Fine Dining" with the multiple courses and the chamber orchestra in the room and the guy who sweeps crumbs off your table and the snooty waiter that tries to sell you $200 bottles of $40 wine on commission and the absurdly perfectly cooked and shaped food in little towers, but I will walk into a burger place , and if that burger is a GOOD burger, I will strip down to my underwear and waller in it like the trashy pig that I am.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Indeed, sir! Any truly great chef will always tell you that you never can look sight of the first and most important thing of all and that is to be a cook. Recognize the goodness and the soul of the foods you love, the ones that give you comfort and make your heart feel full when you taste them.
I learned to cook from my grandmothers. One, who grew up in lean times, cooking for her siblings out of necessity and one who had a college degree "Home Business" Which meant "Home Economics" in those times and was a very technical cook.
They would let me "help" until I got in the way and thrown out of the kitchen. I have cookbooks dating back to the 40s and 50s and ones published only by members of out family some recipes which go back hundreds of years.
I have a huge place in my heart for those who truly love food.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Ours was one of those families which made food the center of any gathering. Gran (Slaughter, My other Grandma passed when I was too young to remember) Was a fantastic cook who raised 12 children on nothing.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
portascat,
As a native Texan, I don't know how you can mention Whataburger and Wendy's in the same sentence. (OK, in the same paragraph.)
Wendy's is the only chain I avoid. Their dopy square patty hamburgers are tasteless and their chili is not worthy of that name, but is some kind of vegetable soup.
As for chains, Whataburger is a favorite... unless I can find a Fudruckers nearby. You choose how much meat you want on your patty, then you build your own hamburger like you want it at the salad/condiments bar. And they offer REAL mayonaise, unlike Whataburger, that only uses "Texas mayonaise" (Miracle whip).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well the big news in our area is that we're getting the first White Castle in Pennsylvania in September. I grew up eating those belly-bombers in New Jersey. They offer the "Crave Case" which is a carboard attache with 32 hamburgers in it. Most people call them sliders. Its a love them or hate them proposition. I love them. Since they are 2 bites to a burger. eating a dozen is no problem.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
With all the proponents of Grabows, cobs and drugstore tobaccos on this board, I'm surprised there aren't more lovers of plain old Big Macs.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
You need to read Mad Cowboy, written by a Montana Cattle Rancher:
Howard Lyman's testimony on The Oprah Winfrey Show revealed the deadly impact of the livestock industry on our well-being. It not only led to Oprah's declaration that she'd never eat a burger again, it sent shock waves through a concerned and vulnerable public.

A fourth-generation Montana rancher, Lyman investigated the use of chemicals in agriculture after developing a spinal tumor that nearly paralyzed him. Now a vegetarian, he blasts through the propaganda of beef and dairy interests -- and the government agencies that protect them -- to expose an animal-based diet as the primary cause of cancer, heart disease, and obesity in this country. He warns that the livestock industry is repeating the mistakes that led to Mad Cow disease in England while simultaneously causing serious damage to the environment.
http://www.amazon.com/MAD-COWBOY-Plain-Cattle-Rancher/dp/0684854465

Status
Not open for further replies.