PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caston02

Lurker
Dec 5, 2019
Louisville, KY
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Hey everyone, fairly new to the pipe scene. I have about 11 pipes i know little about, just that some smoke good and some dont. Im going to add pictures and descriptions, but i would love some help finding out more about these!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dmcmtk

Caston02

Lurker
Dec 5, 2019
Louisville, KY
Kaywoodie SuperGrain 5111 looks like early 40s maybe? Cant get the stem out of the shank, i think it has a stinger, but I cant get it to budge. Seems unsmokable due to cracks. And a ridiculous amount of cake

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey everyone, fairly new to the pipe scene. I have about 11 pipes i know little about, just that some smoke good and some dont. Im going to add pictures and descriptions, but i would love some help finding out more about these!

There are many on here, myself included, that live vicariously through other peoples estate finds. Yes we would love to see more pictures!

View attachment 11154
This one is my favorite. It is a Weber Shellbrooke 270? I cant find anything about this model, but I learned about the maker
Looks like some interesting rustication on this one, like a pine cone almost.

View attachment 11155View attachment 11156
Kaywoodie SuperGrain 5111 looks like early 40s maybe? Cant get the stem out of the shank, i think it has a stinger, but I cant get it to budge. Seems unsmokable due to cracks. And a ridiculous amount of cake

Now that is a crack! I've seen everything repaired on this forum. There are truly some magicians here. I don't know if it is the lighting or what, but that is a nice coloured stain.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
That looks like a pipe someone really loved smoking. Is that glue between the shank and stem? Or perhaps something like paper stuck in there to make it tight? Whatever it is may help explain why you can't budge stem.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Caston02

Lurker
Dec 5, 2019
Louisville, KY
That looks like a pipe someone really loved smoking. Is that glue between the shank and stem? Or perhaps something like paper stuck in there to make it tight? Whatever it is may help explain why you can't budge stem.
It looks like a spacer of some kind. I have another old pipe that had fragments of something similar in it. When I toot the stem out the stuff kinda disintegrated, and now the stem wont screw in aligned to the bowl

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Weber looks like it has some life left. The interesting pattern carving is real old style still seen in some American factory pipes and in others like La Rocca. The Kaywoodie looks shot, to me, but I guess you can revive anything. I have a Kaywoodie Drinkless Ruff-Tone in roughly an author shape that is a good smoker either despite or because of its stinger that is also the thread that holds the stem on the shank.

Reactions: diamondback

Caston02

Lurker
Dec 5, 2019
Louisville, KY
I see a BC stamped on the stem. That would be Butz-Choquin , a well known firm from France. Solid pipes. Go check it out on Pipedia.

Butz-Choquin - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Butz-Choquin

Keep the pictures coming.
Thanks! I took it in to a local shop and he told me the same thing. Very excited about this one. Will post more pictures when I get off work tonight. I have what I think is a pre WW2 tobacco "jar" that I want to show you guys.

Reactions: mau1

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As much fun as that looks, i don't have the time or resources to tackle amything like that. Or the knowhow to be frank
Even after you spent many many hours on repairing it, you wouldn't have a fine smoker looks wise, and actual smoking might be impaired as well.
Please keep the photos coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.