PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
American society hasn't existed for very long. We are simply experiencing what other societies over the centuries have experienced. Perhaps social media and the all pervasive internet makes one think we are at some sort of new and novel nadir. I'm sure many thought they were witnessing something terrible during the sixties. They only saw the hippies, the anti-war types and such. I served with some great kids. I attended collage with some serious students. I'm simply neither a pessimist nor an optimist.
I'm simply pointing out that, in the grand scheme of things, we/you are not experiencing anything new in human behavior. Parents and children have been impressing and disappointing each others for many, many years. Not all children are going to be failures and not all parents are going to be inspirational. The failures simply make it easier for the successes to succeed through less competition. It's a good thing for the "hard chargers."
I only worried about my kid and now the grandson, never about others' children. And, I am simply not going to rate society as a whole based in what I see and hear in the media or, even my own small view of the country. There are simply so many well behaved and motivated kids in my neighborhood to worry about the country.
From my years as a cop I can tell you that good parenting does not always equal "good" children. And, good, respectful, kids do, more often than not, spring from slovenly parents. Blaming parents for the actions of children is often an easy assessment to make. Often a wrong assessment I believe. Too many variables in the mix to assign blame to only one element of many involved in "growing up."

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Well I was going to write a big long post but anthonyrosenthasaid all!
PAPPYMAC is also correct, Teachers, Principles used to be allowed to deal with certain things. Now not so much.
This bullying that going on now is nothing like any of us had to deal with when we were younger, it is a new frontier or perfect storm of events.

The kids that this is effecting never get a break from it. Its at school, playground, home (via internet).

They never get a safe zone...Not a "safe space" like, YES the SNOWFLAKES. But a place the they can feel safe.

As a kid who got "bullied"from grades 3-6 (until I got taller) Home was always a safe spot that you didn't have to worry and could just be yourself.
My wife is a 5th grade teacher, a few years ago she had a student take his life all because he was being bullied. The students mother had posted a very innocent picture of her son when he was like 2 wearing a bra..Some kids at school somehow seen it. And no matter what they tried the picture just kept coming back.

Personally I blame parents who are to busy to take notice of what their children are doing or not doing..Who's been to a kids baseball,football,etc. game and watched many parents barely look up from their phones.

We as a race of humans have come so far in many areas, and yet seem to becoming less human?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Well then, let me ask a question: How many youngsters have you (the generic you) seen fit to mentor? I had unofficial mentors (meddlers?) throughout my young years. Some I resented, others I ignored and a couple I cherished and respected.
Not as often as I should have, I have taken an interest in a kid with obvious social problems and meddled in his life. There's been a couple who have thanked me years later and others I never made headway with. But, none I ever thought I wasted my time with.
So, if you are despairing of the the generations following, I suggest making the effort to change the expected outcome. I know some of you do this already and kudos to each of you.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Kim Jung Un is begging for it now. Who are we to deny the needy?"
How so very true. Each morning with my first coffee I read the BBC News website wondering if it has all kicked off overnight and I missed it.
One morning I will read it has kicked off and that will be a joyous day for me. He needs to be brought down a rung or two that's for certain.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Warren, both the BBC and the Daily Mirror are as skewed as any other popular news outlet, biased by their own particular political leanings. The best option IMHO would be to read the output straight from the horse's mouth as it were, from such outlets as Reuters before other agencies get to put their own bias on a story.
My late Father was a Reuters correspondent (home & abroad) for many years and always told me that the fresher the source, the more accurate the news.
FWIW he was offered the Rome desk just prior to my birth but Mother refused to move with a young family to Italy as she, unlike him didn't speak the lingo :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
"Kim Jung Un is begging for it now. Who are we to deny the needy?"
But the scary thing is how do you do it? A sicko.
Used to be a skinny kid & get my ass kicked everyday from the neighborhood bully. My dad, WW2 army air dude showed me some moves, next time he came at me I beat his ass. Became my best Bud.

I am short & WAS thin, so have had many try to kick my ass. Some did!

I see a lot of people today that apparently never had their butts beat because of what comes out of their mouths, they don't know how to keep them shut.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Interesting thread, but I feel that bullying is a bit of a complex issue than just 'all you have to do is stand up to them'

I was seriously bullied at a military boarding school in the 80s
I was 13 ( 5ft nothing) and bullied day and night by 17/18 year olds. standing up to them was not an option, the size/strength differential was just too great. At a boarding school you don't get to go home and relax at night. we were often suffocated in our sleep and punched in our solar plexus getting winded in our sleep which was terrifying to wake up to. we were locked in trunks, made to comb faeces into pubic hair with a toilet brush, beaten up, whipped etc. etc. I could go on.
The 'good old days' meant that kids could get away with this, as teachers were hard and saw this as 'part of growing up' .At least some schools are trying to tackle this issue. We had a suicide due to bullying in my school, and now with very psychologically damaging cyber bullying, parents and teachers should be held responsible for the actions of kids in their care as the consequences often last a lifetime for the victims.
I am not saying we should wrap kids up in cotton wool, but teaching self-reliance, and standing up for yourself can be instilled with balanced parenting and schooling, not ignoring blatant abuse of younger/smaller/vulnerable kids

Status
Not open for further replies.