PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was bullied for a while early on in school until they found out what I could do with a ball bat.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The schools and by extension the parents don't let kids fight anymore, if there is a fight, the cops are called in. In 99 out of 100 cases there is no need to involve the cops in childhood fighting, most fights could be simply broken up and give the kids detention or some such. The schools are so scared of being sued by overzealous parents that even small altercations become a legal affair....sad.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
8 Differences Between the 1950s and Now
http://listverse.com/2007/10/26/8-differences-between-the-1950s-and-now/

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
8 Differences Between the 1950s and Now
Isn't that the truth, and a shame. Some of my best friends now are the same guys I shared ass kickings with as a kid.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
It's called the pecking order. Fight it out. It makes men men. Nothng but a bunch of pussies nowadays.
Women on the other hand? They do it verbally. And on rare occasion they have a good cat fight. Nothing better than watching two chicks fighting ....and clothes being torn off. haha.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Schools also used to be allowed to punish the bullying out of students. Now it would result in a teacher getting fired or sent to jail.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
A few years back we had a neighbor kid who was always getting the crap kicked out of him. His dad died, his mom worked all the time. I felt sorry for the guy.
He knew I boxed. So one day he comes over and asked me to help him defend himself. I worked with him for about 2 months. Then one day he comes over and real excited he says. "Frank. I kicked the shit outa that bully." He was smiling from ear to ear..and so was I.
Today's he's a Navy Seal. I'm proud of that kid!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
On the other hand, many teachers used to look the other way when kids were getting picked on.I remember this one kid that everyone made fun of, denigrated, exiled, just treated like shit from kindergarten on up. Her family life was lousy and the poor girl was damaged goods because of it. Like a shark smells blood, kids circles and nibbled away at her. Lots of small stuff that cumulatively was just devastating for the poor girl. It wasn't until the second day of 5th grade that our new teacher arranged for her to be out of class and read us all the riot act. For a half hour, she humiliated us for the way we treated that girl and made it very clear that not only would it no longer be tolerated, but we were to make her our friend. We did, and her life changed that day.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That happened in my school too. But our girl never had that teacher in 5th grade and I wasn't able to stop it, though I was never mean. I often wonder what happened to her.
Women on the other hand? They do it verbally. And on rare occasion they have a good cat fight.
Not in my high school. We had more girl brawls than guy ones in my school. It was AWESOME! :twisted:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Wow, I'm surprised this one hasn't gone off the rails yet. For my two cents, there is only the one way to deal with a bully, even for smaller kids or ones that aren't naturally inclined toward fighting. Sometimes the bigger kids that were mild-mannered got it worse than the littler kids. It took a frozen can of Coke in a tube sock one time, but even I made it through the "target of bullies" stage.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm not going to give details, but when I was in fifth grade I got jumped by two boys older than myself and I took a pretty good beating. Two weeks later I hit a "home run" with one of them and a month later I "hit it out of the park" with the other one. Since it was a small town I never got messed with again. I still have the bat. Funny thing, my two older brothers offered to assist and my dad told them that it was my problem and I had to solve it. Great advice.

Jun 4, 2014
I had my problems with bullies in school. I was big for my age, but quite so it made me a target. We had one kid who was a total a-hole, even the teachers did care for him. Unfortunately for me he would not leave me alone, pushing me in the halls, tripping me, the whole gambit. One day I had enough, he pushed me in the hall and I grabbed him by the back of the neck and slammed his head a few times against a locker door. I never had anymore problems with him after that.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Great thread. I hope that the folks that truly are the bullies are reading it.
I too have an absolute loathing for bullies. By the time I graduated H.S. I'd lived in 10 different towns in 8 states.
I was always the FNG, and as one would expect I would inevitably have the bully or bullies try me on. Luckily for me my dad taught me at a very young age not to fear them and to absolutely take em out whenever they started.
Subsequently I got sent home quite a bit over the years. But, after I'd scrapped with them, they usually left me alone.
Fast forward to today, I can't hold my tongue whenever I see someone else trying to intimidate others with their physical prowess, supposed intelligence, wealth or social status.
It used to embarrass my wife when I'd call people out, she's kinda gotten used to it now.
All of that to say this. The fact that folks like that exist is partially our (societies) fault. Our fault because we as a group of "responsible grown ups" tend to look the other way when someone is outta line. Sadly, all we need to do nowadays is watch the evening news or walk through a mall and we can see adolescents (some of em in their 20's and 30's) behaving like absolute spoiled brats.
Don't want this to be perceived as a political comment, because it's really a social comment, but the behavior we're seeing on college campus' with the snowflakes protesting other folks 1st amendment rights, running around with their faces covered and destroying other peoples property, all in some supposed "outrage" over whatever it is they've been told to be outraged about (by the MSM and community organizers), this behavior really comes down to spoiled children acting out because they didn't "get their way".

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There is little new under the sun. Be it students, "activists", the clan in the next the "holler", or whomever, people having been calling each other names, fighting each other over differences, be they political or tribal, ever since there have been people.
No one's fault, it's just human nature. The violence and intolerance ebbs and flows over the years. Let's not flatter ourselves that this behavior is anything new and that we are experiencing something novel. Just people being people.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
“One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.” 

― Michael J. Fox
“I would rather be a little nobody, than to be an evil somebody.” 

― Abraham Lincoln

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Indianafrank:
Thank you for being "that guy" in this young man's life.
The U.S. gained a warrior in return. (I'm as proud of him as I would be one of my own.)
Your boxer drew a line in the line in sand and said, "It stops here."
Our Special Ops warriors are taking the biggest hits right now in the war against terror. They're the best force multipliers we have in the game and I pray for their success daily.
Thank you for having this kind of impact on a young person's life.
Fnord

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Warren,
I appreciate and respect your point of view.
But, although I understand it, I must respectfully disagree.
When a parent ignores abhorrent behavior from one of their children, they are not only failing as a parent, but they have failed their child, as well as the rest of society that will undoubtedly endure future tantrums and unacceptable actions and behavior of such reprobates.
Turning a blind eye, looking the other way, ignoring such people is really nothing more than a tacit approval. This, unfortunately, results in basically incentivizing the very behavior nobody wants or needs.
Speaking up and refusing to accept rudeness, bullying, vandalism, terrorism, et al, is not the easy thing to do, but it is the Right thing to do.
To be clear Warren, I don't think I or anyone here is necessarily special, thus not flattering ourselves, but we are witnessing times that are revealing American Society at a near all time low.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A HS classmate and largest football player was in tears on and off all one day.

Turns out his father was a drunken bully who picked on mom and he'd knocked old dad down the stairs the night before and had put him in the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.